Chilobrachys Natanicharum not burrowing?

randyr

Arachnopeon
I recently picked up a female electric blue and have been a bit confused by her behavior. She’s about 4-5” and I have here in a 12x12x12. Filled 60% with moist substrate, put in lots of anchor points and a starter burrow with a piece of cork bark on the back side of it. It’s been 3 days and she hasn’t done a thing. Just climbs around the enclosure and often times sits in a stress pose. She has webbed very little and has not burrowed at all. I have a few other chilobrachys/cyriopagopus and all within 1-2 days have burrowed up. It has been 4 days but I’m thinking she is just taking longer to settle in and burrow? Seems to be in great health. Not sure if I should give her a day or so and then put in a dedicated cork hide if she still has not burrowed?

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
I recently picked up a female electric blue and have been a bit confused by her behavior. She’s about 4-5” and I have here in a 12x12x12. Filled 60% with moist substrate, put in lots of anchor points and a starter burrow with a piece of cork bark on the back side of it. It’s been 3 days and she hasn’t done a thing. Just climbs around the enclosure and often times sits in a stress pose. She has webbed very little and has not burrowed at all. I have a few other chilobrachys/cyriopagopus and all within 1-2 days have burrowed up. It has been 4 days but I’m thinking she is just taking longer to settle in and burrow? Seems to be in great health. Not sure if I should give her a day or so and then put in a dedicated cork hide if she still has not burrowed?
I’d put her in a dark (or at least not bright), quiet room and give her at least a week to settle in. She has a water dish, right? Only thing I didn’t see on your description.

randyr

Arachnopeon
I’d put her in a dark (or at least not bright), quiet room and give her at least a week to settle in. She has a water dish, right? Only thing I didn’t see on your description.
Yes she has a water dish. I’ll put her in a spare room that is dark to let her settle in.

Thank you!

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
Congrats on Your New Neighbor ( C. natanicharum )
Patience and Quiet Surroundings Suggested.
Like to see Her if possible.
Best Regards,

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Do you do everything the same way as your friends? 🤣

goofyGoober99

Arachnosquire
My B emilia moved about an inch in the first week I had her. My T kahlenbergi took about 15 seconds before starting to dig. Every tarantula will be a bit different. I wouldn't worry yet.
I second the request for pics 📷

cold blood

Staff member
None of my chilobrachy ever really burrowed...they all make extensive web homes on the sub, under cover....give them lots of cover and anchor points.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
3 days is nothing. Give it 3 months and if she’s eating an and molting, that’s just the way it is.

None of my chilobrachy ever really burrowed...they all make extensive web homes on the sub, under cover....give them lots of cover and anchor points.
Interesting, most of mine do burrow. I had a kaeng krachan that never really webbed but had a tunnel from the top to the bottom she was in and out of. Among the angriest spiders I’ve ever had

Stu Macher

Ghostface
Arachnosupporter
Ok. Some
Shouldn’t be. It is moist but isn’t muddy at all. About the same consistency as my other fossorials.
[/QUOT
I wouldn't worr
Shouldn’t be. It is moist but isn’t muddy at all. About the same consistency as my other fossorials.
I wouldn't worry then. She'll make it
3 days is nothing. Give it 3 months and if she’s eating an and molting, that’s just the way it is.

Interesting, most of mine do burrow. I had a kaeng krachan that never really webbed but had a tunnel from the top to the bottom she was in and out of. Among the angriest spiders I’ve ever had
I keep reading up on these guys and this group seems to be just a headache to deal with.

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter

I’m wishing I got the Asian fawn at the pet shop. My sai yok never burrowed webbed everything up then died of a bad molt . I miss her was 6” or so.

Mustafa67

Arachnoknight
Wait. My Chilobrachys huahini webbed up and made burrows all over quickly, I don’t have a natanicharum.

Enjoy the time you get her on the surface BEFORE she burrows. Mine used to stay half hidden in the burrow entrance and used to get spooked easily and run and hide underground into his/her burrow.

I’m wishing I got the Asian fawn at the pet shop. My sai yok never burrowed webbed everything up then died of a bad molt . I miss her was 6” or so.
I would defo recommend a Chilobrachys Huahini, mine is one of my favourite Ts

TheraMygalo

Accipitridae
Arachnosupporter +
Could you provide us with it a picture of enclosure? I might have suggestions, but if i saw, then id know what to add/change.

at this point its normal. Some tarantulas take a long time to settle in. Some settle in and then change everything.

usualy, its best not to change enclosures and just be patient. Probably angling your cork bark a different way could help. At an angle, with part of it in the ground, the other against wall. A set up that mimics a natural hide.

Stu Macher

Ghostface
Arachnosupporter
Hey, I hear you've mentioned bad molts in the past. Is your house particularly dry or cold?

A guy

Arachnobaron
Some Asian fossorial specimens can take a really long time to settle in a new enclosure and start to burrow, I've noticed this especially with adults.

Give it a pre-made burrow and just leave it along except for feeding. If it's eating, then it's fine.

A guy

Arachnobaron
I was thinking this too, but they mentionned making a starter burrow. Now of course we don’t know how the person did it, but yeah.

it does take time.
Yeah, even with a starter burrow, it's definitely not a guarantee.