Chilobrachys natanicharum, new species described.

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
What we knew in pet trade as Chilobrachys sp. "Electric Blue".

Here's the link.

Enjoy. ;)

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter

Here's the link.

Enjoy. ;)
finally :)

CrazyOrnithoctonineGuy

Arachnoknight
Not a fan of how the species was named after corporate sponsors instead of anything to do with the T itself, especially for a distinctive T like this. Why not Chilobrachys metallica?

But yeah, it was about time.

CrazyOrnithoctonineGuy

Arachnoknight
The interesting thing about this study is that apparently C. natanicharum can live arboreally in tree hollows, not just in burrows. Hmm......

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
The interesting thing about this study is that apparently C. natanicharum can live arboreally in tree hollows, not just in burrows. Hmm......
It wouldn’t be surprising as there are other Chilobrachys that are specialized cliff dwelling sp.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Not a fan of how the species was named after corporate sponsors instead of anything to do with the T itself, especially for a distinctive T like this. Why not Chilobrachys metallica?

From the article:
"The specific epithet for this species was provided by Nichada Properties Co., Ltd, Thailand, the winner of the auction campaign for choosing the scientific name of the new species. The name is a combination of the names of Mr Natakorn Changrew and Ms Nichada Changrew, who are company executives. All proceeds from the auction were donated to support the education of Lahu children in Thailand and poor cancer patients. The Lahu people are an indigenous hill tribe in northern Thailand (Musoe) and are known for their vibrant culture and traditional way of life. Unfortunately, many Lahu children are denied access to education due to poverty, leaving them with limited opportunities for their future. The goal is to help change this by providing educational opportunities for Lahu children, giving them a chance to break out of the cycle of poverty."

I think calling it "corporate sponsors" is misleading.

The people working in taxonomy are the ones who ultimately designate the names. Lots of spiders are named are individuals who found them, or locations they're found in. If you would have done this work, you could have named it. It's not Chilobrachys metallica because you didn't name it.

Also, why bother naming another spider after a band that hasn't put out a good album since 1988? :troll:

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
From the article:
"The specific epithet for this species was provided by Nichada Properties Co., Ltd, Thailand, the winner of the auction campaign for choosing the scientific name of the new species. The name is a combination of the names of Mr Natakorn Changrew and Ms Nichada Changrew, who are company executives. All proceeds from the auction were donated to support the education of Lahu children in Thailand and poor cancer patients. The Lahu people are an indigenous hill tribe in northern Thailand (Musoe) and are known for their vibrant culture and traditional way of life. Unfortunately, many Lahu children are denied access to education due to poverty, leaving them with limited opportunities for their future. The goal is to help change this by providing educational opportunities for Lahu children, giving them a chance to break out of the cycle of poverty."

I think calling it "corporate sponsors" is misleading.

The people working in taxonomy are the ones who ultimately designate the names. Lots of spiders are named are individuals who found them, or locations they're found in. If you would have done this work, you could have named it. It's not Chilobrachys metallica because you didn't name it.

Also, why bother naming another spider after a band that hasn't put out a good album since 1988? :troll:
Glad I'm not the only one that thinks that of the band Metallica.

Berzerk75

Arachnopeon
Have a adult female in a hybrid fossorial setup.
She did some digging but not much but made a web tunnel under a fake plant. Have the possibility to dig burrows but don’t do it

Patherophis

Arachnobaron

Because "chilobrachys metallica" would be a sick abomination. By the Holy Code, the only acceptable potential combination is "chilobrachys metallicus"! :troll:

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
Sorry. I was wrong. Just had to do some digging to find what I was looking for and apparently it's different from all other chili's other than one,and this one originally belonged to a genius I've never heard of.

Glad to see they are chipping away at them.
Electric blue seemed like a silly name to me anyway..

Last edited:

Tbone192

Arachnoknight

Here's the link.

Enjoy. ;)
Next time I see them in my area, I am getting some for sure. Love Chilos 🥰

Tbone192

Arachnoknight
That's just wrong that shouldn't ever be allowed by the scientific community with naming conventions.
What the actual hell!? Why they have done this, not even golden palace monkey. It has to be freaking goldenpalace.com monkey 🤦

"This species will bear our name for as long as it exists," Rowe said. "Hundreds, even thousands of years from now, the GoldenPalace.com Monkey will live to carry our name through the ages."

Please no more! This is actually stressing me out. using animals as a form of advertisement is disgraceful.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
What the actual hell!? Why they have done this, not even golden palace monkey. It has to be freaking goldenpalace.com monkey 🤦

"This species will bear our name for as long as it exists," Rowe said. "Hundreds, even thousands of years from now, the GoldenPalace.com Monkey will live to carry our name through the ages."

Please no more! This is actually stressing me out. using animals as a form of advertisement is disgraceful.
This monkey bears one of human's most undesirable traits....GREED

Hopefully after enough time passes it receives a new proper scientific name.