Chilobrachy sp electric blue please help.

Tom Moore

Arachnopeon
Hi I've just bought a chilobrachys electric blue. Trouble is I've put it in damp substrate and upon watching the small amount of YouTube video's I've noticed the substrate is dry. I did do research but now these video's are making me second guess what I got told. The spiderling is very small 1cm. I've put a tiny bit of Cork bark on the substrate and compared to the t's size is fairly deep. Maybe 1 and half inch. My knowledge on pet holes in not great as i choose to have ones i will see, but this one really did catch my eye. Anyone own one of these and can you help. Thanks

Attachments

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Any Chilobrachys species should be housed with plenty of slightly moist substrate. They will burrow and need an adequate amount of substrate to do so :) The substrate shouldn´t be soaking wet (if you were to pick up some of it, you shouldn´t be able to squeeze out a bunch of water, but it should be visibly moist).

Last edited:

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
yeah that substrate it too moist. I keep Chilos the same as I do Haplopelma, Cyriopagopus so honestly you can look up the care for these three genus and have a pretty good idea. For your sling I would also start off with around 2.5 inches of substrate (5-6 cm.)

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
So I just experimented and for an idea of the amount of moisture needed in the substrate should simply be a mix of 1 cup of dry and loose coco earth to 1/4 cup of water.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Don't forget about ventilation. With higher humidity comes the risk of creating a stuffy enclosure, which will kill any tarantula eventually. Too much ventilation is better than not enough, it only means that you'll need to water it more often.