"chilling" Tarantulas?????????

The Juice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I want to move my vietnamese tiger to a new enclosure, but it is very, very quick. Does any one chill their T's before they move them, If you do about how long do you leave them in the fridge?? does that depend on the T's size??? Mine is about 2.5" Or what are some other methods that can be used successful??? I don't want it to run up my arm , because she is a mean biiiiiiaaaaatch:? :?

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
I've never chilled any of my T's. Some people do and have no problems, but I'd be worried that I'd forget about it as I once stuck some crickets in the fridge to make it easier to crush their heads and they were in there 30 minutes before I remembered about them.
When I have to move my H. lividum, I get her out in the open and quickly put a deli cup over her and slide the lid underneath. Be careful though, as you don't want to hurt her by crushing a leg under the rim of the cup.

defour

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've done it a couple of times. I wouldn't recommend leaving it in the fridge for more than ten minutes or so; erring on the side of caution is a good idea.

Steve

Neo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Invertcicles....hehe

I don't do that though, usually find some other methods. Open a jar and make her run into it and close the lid.

I wouldn't wanna be freezed........ :(

Only you can prevent frozen bug.

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Are you able to put the old container into the new one and let the T come out on its own?
If not, you can put your T in the fridge, I wouldn't go more than 5 minutes though. If you can find another method of doing it, I would recommend that instead of the fridge method. But leaving the T in the fridge for only a few minutes shouldn't hurt it.

Neo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by SpiderTwin
Are you able to put the old container into the new one and let the T come out on its own?
If not, you can put your T in the fridge, I wouldn't go more than 5 minutes though. If you can find another method of doing it, I would recommend that instead of the fridge method. But leaving the T in the fridge for only a few minutes shouldn't hurt it.
See I understand when everyone says, it shouldn't hurt. But things don't have to HURT to be bad. I mean if someone put you in a refrigerator for 5 minutes only....you still wouldn't be HURT, it will just be miserable. I mean you put them in because you want to slow them down or something, you think thats normal? One minute your warm and the next your freezing your a** off?

I would definately say another way. I just want to make sure you guys get what i'm saying. :p

Some people are forgetful, i'm sure some one forgot their T's in there for hecka long before.

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Get a 16oz deli cup, put the cage in the bath tub and allow the T to get out on its own, then scoop the T inside the deli cup and quickly cover it with the lid- use the lid to guide it into the cup.

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I use the same method as D-Man, put everything in the bathtub, close the shower doors and try to make sure it stays in it's new cage. Most of the time when I change enclosures the new one is large enough that the old one fits inside it then I gently try to make the T walk out of its old container into the new one then remove the old one.

Andy

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey Neo,
I understand what you are saying. That's why I say to do it only if there is no other way. I would personally rather find another way than to stick one of my T's in the fridge.

Hey D-Man, Nice avatar:)

Craig

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i say just get a net and put it over the t. i've only had a t out run a fish net a couple of times (that's out of 12 years!!) aftr tney are in the net slip a peice of thin cardboard underneath. make sure to do it on a level part of the substrate. i also have found large deli containers (like the ones that snakes are kept in at shows) to work well.