Chill out...

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I read in a tarantula care book that you can put the tarantula in the refridgerator ( Note I didnt say the FREEZER) for 6 -20 minutes and the cooler temps will slow down their bodies causing them to move slower..

is this true? also if it is true wouldn't you only use this if it was a molt gone bad and you wanted to help the T?

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I read in a tarantula care book that you can put the tarantula in the refridgerator ( Note I didnt say the FREEZER) for 6 -20 minutes and the cooler temps will slow down their bodies causing them to move slower..

is this true? also if it is true wouldn't you only use this if it was a molt gone bad and you wanted to help the T?
Yes, it will slow them down, just like it would slow down any cold blooded animal. As for a molt, the stress of sudden body temp drop may be enough during that already stressfull time to outright kill it. As with all molts, best leave it alone.

wicked

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Its true it slows them down. However I would never use this method myself. I have been known to burn water so I wouldn't trust myself to leave a T in the refrigerator. :p

I believe it is just advised by some for dealing with fast, defensive Ts that you don't want to get bit by.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It works. I have done it a few times only when packing asian species and some pokies. Other then that I dont have to bother with it very often. Just remember if you are going to do that for whatever reason dont forget its in there. I had one guy I knew in california that put his in and forgot. Needless to say the outcome was not all that good.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
I used it to rehouse my P. murinus when I first got it...I put it in the fridge in 3-4 minute intervals until it had slowed enough that I was comfortable working with it but not enough that I was afraid it may have been harmed. I wouldn't just stick a T in the fridge for 15 minutes straight, but total time in there sure...I think my OBT was in there for about 10-12 minutes total and no worse for the wear once it warmed back up.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It works. I have done it a few times only when packing asian species and some pokies. Other then that I dont have to bother with it very often. Just remember if you are going to do that for whatever reason dont forget its in there. I had one guy I knew in california that put his in and forgot. Needless to say the outcome was not all that good.
Thanks to everyone i love fast responses... the way you guys respond so quick shows that if any of us have an emergency we dont have to wait long for a response.

on to topic matter....but this isnt something I would do. but at the same time its not even something i would have thought to to do for whatever reason until it was brought to my attention

epiphone

Arachnopeon
the stupidest idea ! put your tanantulas health in risk just cuz YOU cant handle it? dont be that stupid to buy the animal you cant handle ! :?

there is many ways to safly transport an animal to its new enclosure or for shipping.... :embarrassed: ask some guy for help if you cant do it yourself:mad:

i would never put a tanantula in the frezer thats just stupid...

nothing personal its just my personal opinion ;)

//Martin

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Not the freezer, the fridge.... and there is no long standing health effects what so ever.
You get cold sometimes right? Do you die? I have done the fridge method for my mean Ts for a long time and nothing happens.......

Think about this as well...... under the plane when your Ts are shipped do you think that plane is heated?

Nope not at all. And they do just fine as well.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
hey you cant compare tarantulas whit humans...
Im not..... that was a for fun compairson.

Like I mentioned already I ship alot and I have never had anything go wrong using this method. I recommend it actually.

The fun part is they can snap out of it sometimes without warning lol. Thats always good for a spike in the blood pressure. :D

epiphone

Arachnopeon
hmm so why do you acculy want to slow the animal down ? for your own good ? are you scarred of it? dont be its your pet! you shouldent do somthing bad to it! it migth get hurt... etcetc... hehe i will compare humans and tarantulas for fun to:) : you want to get slowed down by the cold weather?
it sounds like your frezing it cuz its almost fun so you rekomend it to others:?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
hmm so why do you acculy want to slow the animal down ? for your own good ? are you scarred of it? dont be its your pet! you shouldent do somthing bad to it! it migth get hurt... etcetc... hehe i will compare humans and tarantulas for fun to:) : you want to get slowed down by the cold weather?
it sounds like your frezing it cuz its almost fun so you rekomend it to others:?
How many asian species have you handled? Or adult Pokies? Those Ts dont go quietly into shipping containers. The fridge is a simple method that has NO ill effects. Simple as that.

There has to be someone out there that agrees with me. Lol maybe I am alone.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
When I find someone who will take this H.mac off my hands, I'll definitely use that fridge method when packing it. ;)

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Saddle lol you crack me up to sometimes..... for a 2" er you should have no troubles packing her....... when they are that small they are more likely to run like hell not bite...... but hey you never know lol.

Pyst

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
talkenlate I agree with you myself.

Don't feed the troll. hah

epiphone

Arachnopeon
animal cruelty ? thats what its caled?:)
hmm yes there are big and bad animals and you should have that in mind when buying it ! you are stupid to do that and YES the tanartula can die! hurt itself! you know its not working like it should do cuz its frezed down:?

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Saddle lol you crack me up to sometimes..... for a 2" er you should have no troubles packing her....... when they are that small they are more likely to run like hell not bite...... but hey you never know lol.
Hey I'm paranoid. XD Even my smithi would spook me on occassion. {D

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
animal cruelty ? thats what its caled?:)
hmm yes there are big and bad animals and you should have that in mind when buying it ! you are stupid to do that and YES the tanartula can die! hurt itself! you know its not working like it should do cuz its frezed down:?
I hope you are kidding cause I dont know if I should laugh or cry............

I have as of last night I have 253 Ts...... I know what I am doing...... its a proven safe method....

Dont go sticking a T in the fridge for 5 hours........ that will kill it..... but 5 minutes is just fine.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
I put an adult female H. lividum in the fridge to slow her down for packing and it didn't work in the slightest. She was more mad when she came out than when she went in. In the end I just dealt with it and packed her up.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
I don't get why some people think that's cruelty. :? When I was a little kid I used to hide in the fridge much longer than 10 minutes and I didn't feel a thing. xD These people obviously must not own pokies. o_O