Chill out...

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I can't see any reason for it. If one is too scared to transfer the T, he/she probably shouldn't have it in the first place. And yes, I've packed many Pokies and other fast tarantulas.

Last edited:

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It gets cold(below freezing) in the Atacama desert.They warm up just fine.
Again it depends of the species. Some species can handle it, because they are often exposed to really cold temperatures, but others can't. Poe. subfusca for example sometimes has to survive in 40F, but of course this isn't the case with most tarantulas...

I'm not saying this "freezing to calm down" method is necessarily harmful, because it only takes minutes, but that comment can make someone think that all tarantulas can survive in low temperatures long time. This isn't the case, or we wouldn't have so much shipping related deaths during winter here in Europe. And no, we won't ship if it gets too cold.
It's the same thing with Megaphobema, when they can't always handle as high temperatures as most tarantulas can.

Edit: Maybe "freezing" wasn't the word I was looking for here, because I know we are talking about a fridge. English isn't my main language so I make these mistakes. :)

Last edited:

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, it can die, if you are careless and negligent.

As was already mentioned, you don't put it in the freezer, you put it in the fridge, and you take it out after a certain short amount of time.

I don't think you understand that the people you are preaching to and calling stupid have more experience with Ts than you have common sense. Pick up a book or read a few articles on the internet, apply the knowledge with logic (you may have to borrow some), then feel free to come back here and admit that you were wrong.

Not absolutely necessary though since everyone else already realizes this.

animal cruelty ? thats what its caled?:)
hmm yes there are big and bad animals and you should have that in mind when buying it ! you are stupid to do that and YES the tanartula can die! hurt itself! you know its not working like it should do cuz its frezed down:?

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Not recommended, but it gives perspective

Hey just wanted to clarify,...I don't think all tarantulas can (or should have to) handle freezing temps for hours on end. Just trying to make the point, that maybe they all don't have to stay within a 3 degree temperature range at all times, and to put "chilling" in perspective, that is all. I do not recommend doing what I did, and only did so in emergency while becoming "without a house" at 16. I still feel bad about it. But I don't think 10 minutes in a refrigerator is all that bad of an idea, especially with the speedsters. Anyway, just my 2 cents. I'm not an expert! Peace, ryan

Again it depends of the species. Some species can handle it, because they are often exposed to really cold temperatures, but others can't. Poe. subfusca for example sometimes has to survive in 40F, but of course this isn't the case with most tarantulas...

I'm not saying this "freezing to calm down" method is necessarily harmful, because it only takes minutes, but that comment can make someone think that all tarantulas can survive in low temperatures long time. This isn't the case, or we wouldn't have so much shipping related deaths during winter here in Europe. And no, we won't ship if it gets too cold.
It's the same thing with Megaphobema, when they can't always handle as high temperatures as most tarantulas can.

Edit: Maybe "freezing" wasn't the word I was looking for here, because I know we are talking about a fridge. English isn't my main language so I make these mistakes. :)

Pacmaster

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have done this for years with crix and various bugs . . .
I have been considering using this method to allow me to pick the 3 visible mites off one of my slings . . .

BTW- GREAT thread title . . .
BTW#2- just noticed the dates . . .

Last edited:

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
I can't see any reason for it. If one is too scared to transfer the T, he/she probably shouldn't have it in the first place. And yes, I've packed many Pokies and other fast tarantulas.
Depends on your living arrangements and how much risk you want to put the T at (not everyone can risk a T escaping in their house...and it's a lot safer for the T and people if it doesn't escape in the first place)...cooling it down for a short time will not adversely affect it and will keep it from being injured as well as possibly biting you. Am I advocating this be done by every person for every T? No...

I'm happy you've packed pokies and other fast T's...would you like a pat on the back? A cookie? Congratulations! :worship: I suppose you'd go on to say that dosing a T with carbon dioxide to knock it out to extract venom is unneeded even if it as a fast and nasty T as well?

kryptix

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Having received a decent sized pokie from Ryan I can say this would be the only way in hell I could see these T's being packaged safely and shipped. Without somehow slowing them down I don't even see how someone could even get close to some T's to package them. I don't see a problem with chilling them for a few minutes to package them up.

Pacmaster

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I got my little t burgandy 2.5"er in the fridge right now.
Imma do a cage transfer . . .
Its fast as heck, and I also dont want a buncha hairs.

Trouble is, its taking forever as the cage was all tropically from being in the herp room.
I keep checking it every minute, gotta go.

Edit:
Been in for 5 minutes now, and the cage still feels warm!
T still very much active.

Pacmaster

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So, successful transfer . . .
The T was in the fridge a total of 11 minutes, and was still trying to stand its ground when I put the jar over it.
Im gonna give it about another 30 minutes to recover fully, then Im gonna try feedin it, it was waiting at the old door of its old burrow when I started.

Anyways, its now in a nice 5L tank with a sliding screen lid.
"fridge-transfer-method" gets a 2 thumbs up.

kru008

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So, successful transfer . . .
The T was in the fridge a total of 11 minutes, and was still trying to stand its ground when I put the jar over it.
Im gonna give it about another 30 minutes to recover fully, then Im gonna try feedin it, it was waiting at the old door of its old burrow when I started.

Anyways, its now in a nice 5L tank with a sliding screen lid.
"fridge-transfer-method" gets a 2 thumbs up.
that is a really great idea man :) :worship: :worship:

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm happy you've packed pokies and other fast T's...would you like a pat on the back? A cookie? Congratulations! :worship: I suppose you'd go on to say that dosing a T with carbon dioxide to knock it out to extract venom is unneeded even if it as a fast and nasty T as well?
I was simply saying that it can be done without problems, when you are careful. I wasn't bragging or anything.

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Having received a decent sized pokie from Ryan I can say this would be the only way in hell I could see these T's being packaged safely and shipped. Without somehow slowing them down I don't even see how someone could even get close to some T's to package them. I don't see a problem with chilling them for a few minutes to package them up.
It really isn't as hard as it sounds. I know many dealers who do it nearly every day without any problems. I don't consider myself a dealer, but I haven't had any problems so far.

Edit: When you've dealt with them long enough, you can predict their movements better.

Edit2: Again, I'm not saying this fridge method is necessarily bad for the T (it probably isn't), but I just don't see any reason for it.

Last edited:

burmish101

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I havent used this method but on the other hand sometimes it takes a VERY long time to get the T packed up. I normally line deli cups with a few layers of paper towel and put the T in then place a few layers of paper towel over the top. I can totally understand how this method would be quite practical but if my parents ever found a T in the fridge theyd probably whip out a rifle LOL they are scarred sh*tless of my spiders.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
I was simply saying that it can be done without problems, when you are careful. I wasn't bragging or anything.
Understood :) I have seen vids of people doing it with fast T's before but I am just paranoid about accidentally crushing a leg or it getting away and "disappearing" in an apartment (my old old apartment had cracks in the walls that allowed access to who-knows-where lol). Sorry for the smart comment, it was just how you came across initially.