Chilean rose tarantula (Grammostola rosea)

jgod790

Arachnoknight
Ok so lets be honest, G rosea, one of, if not THE most common tarantula in the hobby. Some people say there boring, just pet rocks, they barely move, sometimes go months without moving or eating. So the purpose of this thread, is I want to hear positive experiences regarding G rosea. Because personally, I think "pet rock" and "boring" is not fitting name, or reputation for G rosea. If you want a lighting fast, easily aggravated, angry temperament, hot venom, then no, the G rosea will not fit your needs. But if you want a tarantula that’s easily handled, does not get stressed easy, easily cared for, and wont just hide in a burrow all day, and will out live your dog, then G rosea is perfect. I don’t know why they have a "pet rock" reputation. My G rosea is not very active during the cold winter months, not going to lie, however, during the warmer parts of the year, she is VERY active. G rosea may not be the best looking tarantulas, but you can handle them, without worrying about them biting you, and with out worrying about them running off your hand, as they are typically very slow and wont make fast sudden movements (unless startled). So as long as you don’t breathe on it or make any sudden movements, you have nothing to worry about while handling a G rosea. What Im trying to say is, I love G rosea, I think there a great species. A female can live up to 30 YEARS!!!!! The longest recorded actually lived to 40 years. They have no humidity or heat requirements, room temperature is always fine for G rosea. Just give them any kind of substrate that’s soft ( has to be soft as they are clumsy climbers and fall often), give them a water dish that’s always full, and a retreat is recommended, but not actually required, and feed them once a week at MOST. Follow this, and you can have a furry little friend that wont bite you, or run off your hand, for 20 to 30 years of your life! If any of you have positive experiences and love G rosea, Id like to hear how many other hobbyists share my love for G rosea.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah... Just wait until your rosea hits a mood swing. You'll find out.

Besides that, all are different, because your rosea is like that, doesn't mean that someone elses is.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I like pet rocks, love love my 6" MF G. pulchripes, worth every dime. But...

Besides that, all are different, because your rosea is like that, doesn't mean that someone elses is.
The nastiest tarantula i've ever had the luck of getting was a G. rosea RCF. The thing would throw up a threat pose & freak out until it was flipped onto it's back & dripping venom.

I've had multiple G. pulchripes & they seem to be much more consistent in their behavior.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Rosies are not very active, that's for sure. But then, there are a lot of other tarantulas that don't waste much energy either. Mine do move around more than a rock does, though. They dig burrows, walk around when inspired, etc. They generally eat well unless they're getting ready to molt, but once in a while have dug in and refused food for a long time prior to a molt. Still, they're nice looking tarantulas and are usually out where I can see them.

jgod790

Arachnoknight

Ive had mine for over 10 years now, and she has only been in a bad mood 3 times out of 10 years.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I love my G. roseas! All three have/had individual quirks, but remain very similar. (One of them is deceased now.) They are not quite fuzzy pet rocks, nor have I ever (to date...) had to chase them around the room.

The BCF is more 'outgoing' than the RCF, if such a word may be used to describe a T. :? They are both responsive to activity outside their respective enclosures, which are side by side. BCF comes to the front to 'see' what's going on and RCF goes into her hide. On feeding day, BCF will practically leap from her enclosure to rip the B. discoid from the tongs to take back to her web pad to eat. RCF would rather watch the roach do a couple laps of her enclosure before nailing it, and she's not particular where she eats.

The rosea I recently lost was a BCF. Her 'personality' was somewhere between the other two.

I wouldn't call any of my spiders boring. :)

energizer2010

Arachnopeon
I have had my sling grammostola rosea for 2 weeks so far and so far I'm in love with it. Can't hold it just yet for 1 it's to small and 2 very fast and I'm afraid of trying to atch it if it runs away from me. I am really excited for it's first molt. Should be anytime now.