Chilean Rose hanging from screen on top of tank

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Joined
Feb 25, 2003
Messages
748
I've got a chilean rose, that I got from a petstore before EXTENSIVELY researching it - since I've picked it up I've become more and more interested in how it works and it's behavior, and have a somewhat interesting question.

He keeps crawling up the side of the tank he's in, tries to crawl across the screened in top. He'll get one or two feet on there, but then his legs fall off the glass, and he squirms around and then just hangs there. I actually saw him do it the other day, and after about 15 minutes of hanging I tilted the cage and coaxed him off the screen to slide down the glass wall to the bottom.

I know that falling even a small distance can be dangerous, so I wondered if this should be a concern? What if he crawls up there when I'm at work or sleeping? ( I know he does when I'm at work - i wrote this over my lunch hour and he's presently hanging off the screen in the corner by the tank light)

I currently have a 5 gallon tank, 16x9" and 11" high. If he fell, his abdomen would probably drop about 7". I don't really have a whole lot more space for a bigger tank, and I do take him out intermittenly to explore (supervised of course).

Is this a concern? It's kinda funny to watch him hang out there and squirm, then stop - it's like he's embarrased and is waiting for me to leave. :?
 

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Joined
Aug 20, 2002
Messages
1,062
Ooh, you definitly dont want him to be hanging there, its bad, I read in a tarantula book that one owner found his tarantula hanging like that dead. So what ever you can do to prevent him from doing this is a good thing. If hes new, he may just be exploring. I tend to see that with mine. As soon as you put them in a new enviroment, they climb about, trying to find out their limitations. I really cant suggest anything to you, Im simply not that clever. I hope someone comes up w/some idea for you.
 

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Joined
Oct 12, 2002
Messages
903
Originally posted by abstract
I know that falling even a small distance can be dangerous, so I wondered if this should be a concern? What if he crawls up there when I'm at work or sleeping? ( I know he does when I'm at work - i wrote this over my lunch hour and he's presently hanging off the screen in the corner by the tank light)

I currently have a 5 gallon tank, 16x9" and 11" high. If he fell, his abdomen would probably drop about 7". I don't really have a whole lot more space for a bigger tank, and I do take him out intermittenly to explore (supervised of course).

Is this a concern? It's kinda funny to watch him hang out there and squirm, then stop - it's like he's embarrased and is waiting for me to leave. :?
Yes, this situation can be dangerous. The easiest solution is just to raise the level of the substrate. As long as the distance between the top of the substrate and the top of the tank is no more than your spider's legspan (the recommended guideline per American Tarantula Society), the spider will be able to get enough leverage enough to release itself if it gets caught. This will also reduce the risk of its hurting itself if it falls.

Joy
 

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Joined
Aug 20, 2002
Messages
1,062
Re: Re: Chilean Rose hanging from screen on top of tank

Originally posted by Joy
Yes, this situation can be dangerous. The easiest solution is just to raise the level of the substrate. As long as the distance between the top of the substrate and the top of the tank is no more than your spider's legspan (the recommended guideline per American Tarantula Society), the spider will be able to get enough leverage enough to release itself if it gets caught. This will also reduce the risk of its hurting itself if it falls.

Joy

Now, why didnt I think of that ? I already do that too ! Oh, I remember, my brain cells are on strike.
 

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Joined
Feb 25, 2003
Messages
748
Thank you guys for the EXTREMELY prompt response. I'll look into raising the substrate.

I did notice that, by the time I left after lunch, he had dropped down from the top of the cage and was walking around on the base - I bet he's probably done it several times before.

Thanks again - I'll undoubtedly be asking more ?'s before too long. I had no idea how much I'd get into this little bugger when I bought him..... :D
 

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Joined
Jan 29, 2003
Messages
289
Want there a case were a T got its fangs caught in the screen lid of its cage?? Ive heard that, it breaks its fangs and they cant eat(If they live through it) and then they die...
 

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Feb 6, 2003
Messages
1,488
Re: Re: Re: Chilean Rose hanging from screen on top of tank

Originally posted by Spider_savior
Now, why didnt I think of that ? I already do that too ! Oh, I remember, my brain cells are on strike.
Hehehe. S_S I have two wee lil braincells. One named Clyde and one named Ermph. So far they have slaughtered and eaten fifty hamsters, three wambat, five deranged chinchilla, fourteen cross eyed girbles and one rabid crack enduced tanzmanian crossbred wolverine I ordered from Acme with my new fully encaged brain chugga chugga hamster wheel...

It was delivered by two tie dye poodles and a buzz cut tatooed pekanese with nipple rings..

Clyde and Ermph Still got it.. but it was worth a shot.

Clyde is a hyper insomniac,,, but thats good because Ermph is canabulistic. So it works out.....

Um, anyway...
 

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Joined
Sep 27, 2002
Messages
1,258
I'd second what Joy said, but also, maybe change the lid style if you can. You don't want it pulling limbs off..

Bill
 
Top