Chicobolus Color Morphs?

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I have about 30 Ivory millipedes in an enclosure. There are lots of different shades and some are pretty contrasting. I have some whose ivory stripes are a very bright white. I also have some whose ivory areas are pinkish. This photo shows one who has the regular ivory and black stripes and a red flush between stripes as well. Is it normal to have varied colors between molts or should I isolate them and see if it passes to offspring? It is a bright cherry red and consistent between stripes. There is a young male who also has a flush of cherry. Thanks in advance for your thoughts. ivory morph.JPG

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
It's possible to isolate this color morph, I know there is a dark, so called "Ebony" morph of this species in the hobby. Isolate them and see what happens! :)

Marika

Arachnoangel
I had one female who had purple stripes, she was really beautiful. I also love those white legs, the ones I have now have dark legs.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
It's possible to isolate this color morph, I know there is a dark, so called "Ebony" morph of this species in the hobby. Isolate them and see what happens! :)
After I posted this, I went ahead and set up 2 more enclosures to isolate them. The length of time to see results is crazy. I'm so new at this, I don't know what is normal. But it's no more trouble to maintain a few extra boxes. Adds interest to my life. I have the Ebony as well. This millipede is great - it is friendly, stays mostly above, active in the day, hardy, etc. etc. would be good to develop new colors. I'm all in.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I had one female who had purple stripes, she was really beautiful. I also love those white legs, the ones I have now have dark legs.

Have yours kept that color through molts? The other Ivorys I have from the same source (wild collected) have black legs. I'm excited to see what happens.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
The ebony are from a wild population and all the adults are black. However, the immatures have stripes when they're an inch or two.

Marika

Arachnoangel
Have yours kept that color through molts? The other Ivorys I have from the same source (wild collected) have black legs. I'm excited to see what happens.
I only had her for six months (she died), it would have been great to start a breeding project like yours. I have lots of pedelings and it's interesting to see if there's any variation in color. The parents are "regular" looking.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
The ebony are from a wild population and all the adults are black. However, the immatures have stripes when they're an inch or two.
I got mine as subadults a few months ago. They are still striped but black stripes are wider now. @Elytra and Antenna - what do you think about the other color morphs? It seems a lot of people have the red flushed Ivories; is it something to pursue? Do you know if it relates to any geographical area?

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I only had her for six months (she died), it would have been great to start a breeding project like yours. I have lots of pedelings and it's interesting to see if there's any variation in color. The parents are "regular" looking.[/QUOTE
Yes - purple would be awesome!

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
I got mine as subadults a few months ago. They are still striped but black stripes are wider now. @Elytra and Antenna - what do you think about the other color morphs? It seems a lot of people have the red flushed Ivories; is it something to pursue? Do you know if it relates to any geographical area?
There is a bit of variation in the normal color form. It would be difficult to isolate even if it were something truly unusual.