Chicken Spider latest?

MaximusMeridus

Arachnopeon
Anyone have any further news on the infamous Chicken spider? Would be great to hear from owners if there are any and their experiences.

Craig :)

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Seems like it was a fad, @ the peak of Pamphobeteus collecting

I was Not impressed w/ mine, or the Sp. Peru's either :cool:
{although they do grow very Lg.}
I have parted w/ all Antinous also - just don't do it for me :rolleyes:

My Fortis and Sp. Machalla specimens however ~ I Love :p

GL 2 all Pampho collectors! :razz: They eat Alot! {D LOL

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Considering I am the only one in North America who legally has them (that I know of) I'm not sure how you got some sharpfang. So what fad you are speaking of I am not sure...

I'm currently in the process of breeding them. I have 2 males that just matured out and two mature females, one freshly molted and the other about to, that I can pair them up with.

They are an amazing highly communal species that varies in coloration between molts from jet black with red, to a reddish brown, grey, steel blue for mature males, and burgundy hues on carapace/legs for immature premolt males. A great species that does not destroy or uproot fully planted tanks.

Lorum

Arachnosquire
Considering I am the only one in North America who legally has them (that I know of) I'm not sure how you got some sharpfang. So what fad you are speaking of I am not sure...
Edit: Forget about last comment, hehe.

The fact is, a lot of spiders are called chicken spiders (arañas pollito) in some zones of South America; they call every tarantula "chicken spider". Common names suck.

Last edited:

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Abraxas seems to have the real-thing, and they live in two colonies

How I got my specimens is Not of concern :D But I had to have a couple, and even tried to trade you for some {shot-down like in COD}.

Fad ? Yeah! Alotta Pampho's from Undescribed locales, all-of-a-sudden, became "Chicken-Spiders", and claimed a higher value :cool:

Collectors want what they cannot have......Supply & Demand will bring opportunities for Americans to acquire what they want......How do you think so Many Pulchras came to the Hobby in the last 12 months.....They are Not allowed to leave their country of Origin :?

I did Not post to argue though......just making a point. They likely do Not eat chickens :p, and are barely distinguishable from Antinous variety. IMO, O.K? :D

Also I feel that the rest of the members of Genus, besides Ultramarinus, have the cute X-Mas-tree butt patterns - I find most to be prettier than the Pampho's we are discussing, especially Sp. Machalla ~ my Girl has Purple on her, like a Mature Male Plattyomma!

No sacks yet Abraxas ? GL - I still love your set-up ~ it inspired a couple of my cage designs, TY ;)

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Let's see a pic of the Mature Males please!

Would be nice to compare to the Blue Antinous MM & Purple Sp. Peru MM's :}

Might help in discerning the difference between varieties :cool:

And did the males mature in both colonies you have, just one ? Did you remove them from colonies ? Do tell.....and show :p