Chemicals?

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
what kind of chemicals is it that the small fuzzy ones wont survive exposure to? tryin to find peat/soil without any, but is normal fertilizer (nitrogen, fosphor(sp?) and so on) dangerous for em? i'm talkin regular soil here.. seems like soil without anything added to it is rare?

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Lately, I have been using Schultz Peat Moss that I buy from walmart. On the ingredient list on the back, they only list peat. I use this stuff for all my spiders, slings, juvies, and one adult. I have had zero problems!

BD

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Schlinkey,
The peet I'm useing is Premier brand. Its a product of Canada.
Premier's web site is www.premierhort.com
The bag does'nt show any listing of chemicals at all.
Hope this helps,

Ernie

arachnopunks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
We have also always had good luck with Schultz peat and Schutz sphagnum. Out of everything we have used, it has been consistantly clean and free of funk.

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I use the Schultz peat moss from wal mart also, its awesome, it comes in a re-sealable bag and everything.

Mark

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i've been usin peat moss as well.. but here where i'm livin at the mom, there aint no peat moss to get hold of! so: can i use ecological potting soil, with cow dung in it as fertilizer? (btw i just bought a starved ornithocotonous gadgii old name... any idea what the real name is? prob haplopelma sommat...)

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
bump

anyone? i have an angry unknown (see other thread) old-worlder in need of a home NOW :) besides i already bought the potting soil with cow dung as fertilizer in it.. need to know if its dangerous for em

T. blondi

Arachnopeon
Uh, I dont' know about cow dung fertilizer. All the books I've read says "No fertilizer, No insecticides, sterile everything". Plus, wouldn't feces breed bacteria or fungus? :?

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hmm.. well, its just that, how can cowshit be such a hazard for a spider? these bugs must at some point get in contact with such substances in the wild, no? :?

Slide

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hmm.. well, its just that, how can cowshit be such a hazard for a spider? these bugs must at some point get in contact with such substances in the wild, no?
I would think that the threat lies in the propensity of cow dung to promote growth of various flora that could potentially be hazardous to the T. And even then, it's not going to cause something to grow that isn't present already anyway...

But, I'm not expert, so take it with a grain of salt.. ;)

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by schlinkey
hmm.. well, its just that, how can cowshit be such a hazard for a spider? these bugs must at some point get in contact with such substances in the wild, no? :?
Yes, they may come in contact with it in the wild occasionally, but do they spend their life LIVING on it? I doubt it.

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, but is the soil dangerous then? (its not made of dung, the dungs just a littlebit fertilizer) the other choice i have is some kind of "pig peat" meant for tiny piglets. though there's minerals and iron(?) added to it... any thoughts/ideas?

Tito

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hei Thomas,

I've bought soil from Fellskjøpet, I just bought the one with the least amount of fertilizer. Haven't had any problems at all. My Blondi has been on this for a year and a half now, it digs and moves the dirt around and is as happy as can be. I'm using it with all my other T's as well.

Geir

Last edited: