Check this ad out

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Not that I'm that knowledgeable when it comes to the scorps, but I would say that that's a DS under a blacklight when they took the picture. I could be way off, but that's what I think.

Scott

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Scott,

You're half right. It is definitely a picture of a scorpion taken under both visible and UV light. As to it being a deathstalker, I am skeptical. UV lighting doesn't completely remove patterning and you will notice the medial stripe. It could be a Leirus and I just haven't seen one under UV light, but it is much more likely to be a Centruroides of some sort. Perhaps they figure anyone who is going to buy a "ghost" scorpion probably won't know the difference.

Cheers,
Dave

P.S. On the other hand, what would you rather some ignoramus has on-hand?

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Heck Dave,

For that matter it could be a H.arizonensis. The pedipalps are quite short.

By the method they are trying to market this scorp I sure hope its not a real Death Stalker. Some unknowing person could have a real dangerous critter on thier hands.

Note the palps on this real Leirus quinquestriatus.
http://www.ub.ntnu.no/scorpion-files/l_quinquestriatus3.jpg

And then compare to this H. arizonensis pallidus.
http://www.ub.ntnu.no/scorpion-files/h_arizonensis_pallidus.jpg

Actually the pallidus I owned looked nearly identical to the scorp in the add. Also note the color change at the front of the head similar to the change in the pallidus pic and H. arizonensis in general. Also the specimen shown appears to have a damaged rear leg...last leg.

John
}:)

P.S. Actually after looking at it some more I'm pretty sure it is an H. arizonensis pallidus.

Last edited:

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
John,

Well I guess I'll have to join Scott in the "being half right is better than not being right at all" department. ;)

Cheers,
Dave

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
We're all full. You'll have to go join the "I thought I got one over on the webmaster but I was wrong too" department. ;P ;)

Scott

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
Hey the important thing is that we were all skeptical enough about this add to try and figure this out...the price for it even if it were advertised as a H. a. pallidus is still a bit high though. I have the one I own immortalized in clear resin. The coloring has darkened some but maybe I will try to get a pic so we can compare with the one in the add.

I have a bunch of scorp pics I need to post...I'll see what I can do tonight....I even have some under the blacklight I took with my digital camera...the pics all have an eerie blue glow to them rather than the standard greenish glow. Its pretty cool.

John

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It does look an awful lot like a Hadrurus...

The "glowing" thing is funny...it reminds of a pet store in the area that was selling scorpions labeled as "green emperors", and they did indeed have a green sheen to them. On close inspection, however, you saw that the cage was lit by a high-output UV reptile light, causing the scorpions to flourece.

Wade

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
My H.spinifer have a deep green/blue/black(coroded penny color) sheen when I shine a regular lightbulb on them and Emps are also known to exhibit this sheen in normal light VS UV. I definitely agree that the mystery scorp that Gary has brought to our attention prob has a UV light with a lot of normal lighting on it to get that effect.

Either way..buyer beware!

John

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Man, I'll tell ya, I've seen some really good (as in funny) ads posted on kingsnake.com. Ones like the "Giant Fire Engine Red Malaysian Centipedes", or in reference to solifugids for sale:
"These weird, creepy-crawlies are called "sand-lions" for their eating habits. They dig funnel-like holes in the sand and when an unsuspecting bug, lizard, anything really, falls into the hole they began to pulverize and envenomate the prey with their powerful jaws."
You get the idea. :)

Atrax