Cheapest and most expensive Tarantula in your country?

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
@RezonantVoid I find the Australian t keeping facinating. Would you say the majority of Ts in the hobby are WC or CB?
it pains me to say, but i would honestly guess 75% or more of adult T's for sale here are WC. Ive only got one that wasnt. However, most slings here are CB. Dunno about overseas though

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
Some of the sites i was reccomended had them for either €70 or £70, forgot which symbol. Seladonia was the same price
it pains me to say, but i would honestly guess 75% or more of adult T's for sale here are WC. Ive only got one that wasnt. However, most slings here are CB. Dunno about overseas though
Good to hear there are options for both! All tarantulas initially come from the wild.

All the breeders that I know of in Canada have WC clearly labeled. I have gotten some larger t's from them that were CB. But any pet store selling large tarantulas is most definitely wild caught. I bought my 4-5" pulchripes from a store and that is my only wild caught t. I have passed up many in favor of slings from breeders.

As you guys aren't dealing with import/export and smuggling I see it as less of a problem there. As long as some basic conservation is in play.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Good to hear there are options for both! All tarantulas initially come from the wild.

All the breeders that I know of in Canada have WC clearly labeled. I have gotten some larger t's from them that were CB. But any pet store selling large tarantulas is most definitely wild caught. I bought my 4-5" pulchripes from a store and that is my only wild caught t. I have passed up many in favor of slings from breeders.

As you guys aren't dealing with import/export and smuggling I see it as less of a problem there. As long as some basic conservation is in play.
As far as im aware theres no conservation laws in place for inverts here but i hope im wrong. Just about non tarantula primitive for sale is always WC or from a captive hatched sac taken from the wild

abexoskeleton

Arachnopeon
Cheapest would be S. javanensis, most expensive would be T. Seladonia followed by H. pulchripes

WolleWolf

Arachnopeon
In Germany you can get 2i T. seladonia for 60€ now. (I am not a fan of this species. Beautyful yes, but too small!)

Xenesthis intermedia is very expensive here (for me the most stunning Xenesthis sp.)

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
That´s crazy you can order slings in europe for 80€
lol, believe me, US buyers know all about European prices (and are bitter about them). US prices are at least double the prices in Europe, and go up depending on the rarity of the species.

Cemykay

Arachnosquire
lol, believe me, US buyers know all about European prices (and are bitter about them). US prices are at least double the prices in Europe, and go up depending on the rarity of the species.
That´s one reason why I started this thread. I am interested in the different prices of T´s in the americas, europe and asia/africa because some tarantulas have to be cheaper in the US then in germany right?

Theneil

Arachnoprince
That´s one reason why I started this thread. I am interested in the different prices of T´s in the americas, europe and asia/africa because some tarantulas have to be cheaper in the US then in germany right?
Yes. Though not the notm. There are always going to be some people selling for much less than market.

Also, the common, native aphonopelma species can be had very cheaply here, and they are more expensive in other places. I know a somw people will actually breed them speciffically to export the slings, because they can make more money selling A. chalcodes to somebody across the pond than they can get in the US.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Also, the common, native aphonopelma species can be had very cheaply here, and they are more expensive in other places.
You're right, I forgot about wild caught Aphonopelma being cheaper here in my post. I should have remembered the 'exception to every rule' rule.

cold blood

Staff member
H. maculata slings...here in the US you can barely give them away...Same goes for LPs...T. vagans slings are darn close to free as well.

Expensive...there are a few Xenesthis and Pamphobetus species that are stupidly priced...like 500+ per sling.....(pamph) solaris, ultramarinus, (xenes)megascopula and sp. blue are but a few.

fried rice

Arachnoknight
I saw a neoholothele incei sling for $15. The most expensive tarantulas I have seen we’re adult female brachypelma hamorii. They were $350, and they were 3.5 inches!

vickyklimova

Arachnopeon
In Poland the most expensive was Typholaena seladonia, it was 2000 zloty (480 USD) for a sling. Now it costs 500 zloty (120 USD). Then the most expensive tarantula was Birupes simoroxigorum (2000 Polish zloty too).
2020 most expensive tarantula species in Poland are Phormingochilus pennellhewletti, Xenesthis sp bright, Xenesthis sp blue, Phormingohilus sp sabah blue, Pamphobeteus sp solaris, Pamphobeteus ultramarinus, Aphonopelma mooreae. They are all from 90 to 150 USD for a L1-3. Typholaena seladonia and Birupes simoroxigorum are 100-120 USD for a sling too.
Lasiodora parahybana, Tliltocatl (Brachypelma) albopilosum, Neoholothele incei cost 4-8 zloty (1-2 USD).

trup

Arachnopeon
A. chalcodes slings - $5-$10
Welp... if I survive the pandemic, I will look up exporting/importing laws and go on a "trip" to the USA then :D I've only ever seen a pair for sale which cost around 130 euros

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Welp... if I survive the pandemic, I will look up exporting/importing laws and go on a "trip" to the USA then :D I've only ever seen a pair for sale which cost around 130 euros
Seems like they are usually about 50-70£ each (for a female)when i see them on european lists.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
The cheapest would be Aphonopelma chalcodes, which you would be a fool to pay any money for, and the most expensive I've seen was Birupes simoroxigorum which I saw listed for $900 a few months back. It's probably cheaper now, I dunno.

Edit: Folks in the UK, it's my understanding a breeder friend of mine will be exporting a large number of Aphonopelma sp to the Spider Shop this year, but I don't know what kind of timeline that's on or what specific species will be included. It should be pretty sweet.

Last edited: