Charlotte's Web

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well, my yellow and black argiope has moved on. It's been looking pretty bad for about the past four days or so and today it was dead beneath its web.

But, all is not gloom, like the title of my thread evokes, where there is death, there is life. She made a very small egg sac not quite two weeks ago. Assuming she had been bred before I captured her, it may be fertile.

Does anyone have any idea on what I should do to ensure/help hatching? Normally, the eggs woud overwinter, but I don't know if that is necessary, or will they still develop staying indoors at RT?

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Argiope

Hey Code, sorry to hear about the loss, Argiope sp. are awesome weavers. Glad to hear she left a nice little egg sac though. The best thing to do would be to leave it be exactly the way it is. It should hatch fine at room temp. Several of the Araneus sp. egg sacs I have kept give way to very healthy slings at room temp. Good luck.

Alex S.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Re: Argiope

Originally posted by Alex S.
Hey Code, sorry to hear about the loss, Argiope sp. are awesome weavers. Glad to hear she left a nice little egg sac though. The best thing to do would be to leave it be exactly the way it is. It should hatch fine at room temp. Several of the Araneus sp. egg sacs I have kept give way to very healthy slings at room temp. Good luck.

Alex S.
Thanks Alex. Any estimates on a hatching time?

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hatching

At room temp it could be in the middle of winter but most likely it will be around spring.

Alex S.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Re: Hatching

Originally posted by Alex S.
At room temp it could be in the middle of winter but most likely it will be around spring.

Alex S.
Thanks again, I'll just keep an eye out and my fingers crossed. That would be an interesting species to raise from hatchlings.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
IME, fertile sacs turn light brown in color, while infertile sacs stay white. Why, I have no idea.

Wade

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
My widow sacs behave as wade suggested...they darken as 'hatching' approaches...though widow sacs take only 2-4 weeks...quicker if warmer...and a bit of humidity seems to promote the 'hatching' when they are close...thoug this is with widows.

John
];')

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Eggsacs

I think partly the browning of eggsacs signals the development of the exoskeletons inside.

Alex S.

Last edited: