Chaco wrasslin' pics!

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Actually, Chaco breeding but it looks more like they'..... aww, you know what I mean.

Anyhow, in this pic you can see the 2nd sperm web he built. He destroyed the first and decided to make another. He did not breed yet between construction of both webs either, which I thought was wierd. Anyone know if that's a common thing for males to do?

Attachments

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here's the male playing a drum solo for his sweetie.

Attachments

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Once they finished their business the male strategically plans his retreat. He's very leggy though so I just let him deal with her attitude without interfering. The female did show a little aggression but never advanced toward him.

Attachments

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Still keeping an eye on the female while slowly backing away.

Attachments

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
RRRrrraaaaaarrrrgggghh! :mad:

She held her defensive posture for just a few minutes and then went on about her day.

I will be pairing them a few more times or based on their interaction this first time and the males size I'm considering just letting them shack up for a while. I'll keep ya's updated. :)

Atrax

Attachments

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Great pics Gary, just a question, from start to finish, how long was the whole process?

Bill

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks. :)

Hmmm, that is a good question. I get so caught up in the whole thrill of everything that I don't even keep track of the time. I'd guess maybe 10-15 minutes. Most of the time lapse is just waiting for them to do their whole "charm-and-puppy-eyes" stuff at each other. The actual lock up part is only a couple minutes. The retreat can go either way. In this case it was slow but I've seen on several occaasions where the male can't get the heck out of there fast enough.

Atrax

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Atrax,
Wow, what a great set of mating pictures. It must have been a thrill shooting those, knowing the couple could unhook and start killing each other at any time.It sounds like they are getting along pretty well though.
When I left my G.rosea male in with his girlfriend, he just stayed out of her way, and they did fine together. He stayed with her for over a week.
Good luck with the breeding. Hopefully they'll produce a big fat eggcase.:D

Ernie

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Atrax,
Good luck! Really awesome t..:) I like the drum solo part, just like dad..=D
Peace,
Gillian

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by MrT
Atrax,
Wow, what a great set of mating pictures. It must have been a thrill shooting those, knowing the couple could unhook and start killing each other at any time.It sounds like they are getting along pretty well though.
When I left my G.rosea male in with his girlfriend, he just stayed out of her way, and they did fine together. He stayed with her for over a week.
Good luck with the breeding. Hopefully they'll produce a big fat eggcase.:D

Ernie
Atrax,
Have you hooked them up again?

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not yet Ernie. I'm minutes from putting them together as I type though.
I'm leaning towards letting the big guy move in with the female but I'm still a little nervous to so so.
Will update soon.

Atrax

P.S. Thanks for the concern. Always nice to be thought of. :)

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Gillian
Atrax,
Good luck! Really awesome t..:) I like the drum solo part, just like dad..=D
Peace,
Gillian
LOL! Thanks Gillian! :)
I just wish he could go to practice for me once in a while. *groan*
;)

Atrax

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Curious.... have you been keeping the tanks side by each like that all along? Or did you just put them there to let him climb in for mating.

I am collecting as many notes on breeding as I can because I have a whole wack of males of various species close to maturity and would rather not feed my females such expensive meals :)

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Bob the thief
Hey how hard was it to get him to attempt to breed?
Hi.
Actually it wasn't hard at all. He had been pacing and was very restless up until I introduced him to the female so he pretty much got right down to business as soon as he picked up on the pheromone.

Atrax

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Chris
Curious.... have you been keeping the tanks side by each like that all along? Or did you just put them there to let him climb in for mating.

I am collecting as many notes on breeding as I can because I have a whole wack of males of various species close to maturity and would rather not feed my females such expensive meals :)
Well, their normal place on their particular shelf is side by side except with a few inches of space between. I placed the enclosures on the floor in contact with eachother so the male could be easily transferred.

Atrax

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Did you let him climb in on his own or did you place him there?

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I kind of ushered him up to the top of his own enclosure and once he sensed a female nearby he walked the rest of the way on his own.

Atrax