Cerbalus avaraensis care

WeeBird

Arachnopeon
I did say that was the hope!

Er, were my hopes realised? I didn't have them together long, I wasn't certain they were mature. Are these cerbalus slings? I just chanced to glance in. 20210927_002100.jpg

WeeBird

Arachnopeon
Two that I can see so far! My slow male died so I lost all hope, then I seen them for sale again and bought another 5. :)

Spider Cafe

Arachnopeon
I paired up mine but female laid tiny egg sack and passed. I’ll see if I can get any slings out of it.

WeeBird

Arachnopeon
I have several little enclosures I can pop them in now. For sure seperate?

Liquifin

Arachnoking
@MiroLA - I've my fingers crossed for you!
You're basically one of the only people on the planet to hatch them in captivity. That's a huge accomplishment for you. I have not seen or read any reports of Cerbalus aravensis produce or hatched in the captivity. You've basically done something that no one has done yet. A true accomplishment for sure.

I'm working on the Cerbalus negebensis and I just had a great chat with @MiroLA about earlier today.

I have several little enclosures I can pop them in now. For sure seperate?
Yes, the moment they wander on their own, they're basically independent spiders. If you see any that are out and wandering like the one in the photo then they're ready to be separated.

WeeBird

Arachnopeon
That's one rehoused. The other disappeared while I was putting the mini enclosures together. I'll keep looking.

@Liquifin I can't believe it, really? When I first seen them I kept saying "no way, no way", ha, but didn't imagine it would be that big. Wow. Thank you. I didn't think I'd have to buy fruitflies ever again. :)
20210927_013530.jpg 20210927_013610.jpg 20210927_013715.jpg

WeeBird

Arachnopeon

Sling 2 grooming. Just found it having a drink and quickly got it rehoused. 😁 Plenty of little tracks in the mothers enclosure so I'm sure there's more.

Oh, that's Cal talking in the background apologies.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
After switching up the enclosure to allow for more consistent temp i swapped the sand for more natural sand and after about 5 days she’s dug a burrow. Hopefully a sac is in the near future! 441942DD-F88E-41D9-87CA-3514BC1EE0D3.jpeg 5929237A-9737-42AC-9C23-F1DF1DA788C3.jpeg

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
@WeeBird @Liquifin I have been a bit radio-online silent for a bit but .....

I was doing general maintenance today and saw this.......!! Shes still on it and it is looking somewhat normal shaped and in appearance compared to the previous attempt of her which did not form an eggg-sac shape..so I am assuming this is the best chance I have of getting a proper sac out of her. Anythoughts ??? I am a bit giddy hopeful about possibly this being added as one of the only known successes stateside...!! IMG_9142.jpeg IMG_9139.jpeg IMG_9141.jpeg IMG_9140.jpeg

I was going to add water to the dish but dont want to change anything environmentally and disturb her and potentially her abandon the sac when I am not sure what is truly optimal for her at this stage....

Not sure what else to say but I added extra heat and restricted light from above and then a few weeks later after she drank a ton of water this is what has happened.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
@WeeBird @Liquifin I have been a bit radio-online silent for a bit but .....

I was doing general maintenance today and saw this.......!! Shes still on it and it is looking somewhat normal shaped and in appearance compared to the previous attempt of her which did not form an eggg-sac shape..so I am assuming this is the best chance I have of getting a proper sac out of her. Anythoughts ??? I am a bit giddy hopeful about possibly this being added as one of the only known successes stateside...!! View attachment 483623 View attachment 483624 View attachment 483625 View attachment 483626

I was going to add water to the dish but dont want to change anything environmentally and disturb her and potentially her abandon the sac when I am not sure what is truly optimal for her at this stage....

Not sure what else to say but I added extra heat and restricted light from above and then a few weeks later after she drank a ton of water this is what has happened.
It's been awhile, but they have been produced and hatched in the US already. They're still WC imports coming in, so some gravid females are bound to come in. Either way, congrats. :cool:

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
It's been awhile, but they have been produced and hatched in the US already. They're still WC imports coming in, so some gravid females are bound to come in. Either way, congrats. :cool:
Thanks for the reply! Do you have any recomendations for this next phase now that a sac has been laid?

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Thanks for the reply! Do you have any recomendations for this next phase now that a sac has been laid?
Just leave it until it hatches. I was told they're quite hardy, but I can't say for sure. I haven't had the chance to work with this species again, so take it with a grain of salt.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Just leave it until it hatches. I was told they're quite hardy, but I can't say for sure. I haven't had the chance to work with this species again, so take it with a grain of salt.
Appreciate it either way !