• The Report forums are closed to new reports.

Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reports.

Information on how to use our new Reports section can be found in our Tutorials forum.

Ceratogyrus brachycephalus 'hobby form'

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
I was just about to PM our own Jeff_C with a report on his male's breeding with my female, and figured I may as well post it publicly and just PM Mr. Cohen the link.

I've paired a bunch of Ceratogyrus recently and just hatched some more C. bechuanicus, and in each case the mating was pretty straightforward. Exactly like my past experience breeding the genus. In other words, what we expect - male drumming to entice the female, hopefully a female that drums back and comes out of hiding, and the subsequent courtship dance and, with any luck, a good insertion or three. However, in this case things were slightly different.

Jeff sent me his male at least three or four weeks ago, but I held off introducing him to the female for some time so I could get a few meals in him and hopefully discover evidence of a sperm web.

Starting a couple of weeks ago, I introduced the male into the cage with the large female that I recently posted photos of in the unofficial Jeff C picture thread when the discussion turned to the identity of the hobby's "C. brachycephalus". Every time he did not drum/tap at all. He basically just laid in a corner and, even when I tickled him with a paintbrush to get him to move toward the female's burrow and the silk mat in front that, presumably, would provide a mating stimulus, he did not seem to have any interest. After some time, I would remove him.

I should mention that the female is set-up in a manner to encourage burrowing. She doesn't quite disappear to the extent of a Haplopelma species, but she does spend most of the time in her hole. When she was out of it I tried introducing the male on several more occasions, but each time he did not tap and occasionally she would move toward him and the possibility of him getting attacked would cause me to cup him for protection.

I left the male and female alone (and separate) for the past ten days or so and just fed them each once. Today and tonight we have had severe thunderstorms, and as a firm believer in barometric pressure changes being a key to breeding many animals, I decided to pair many tarantulas and reptiles tonight.

I opened the female's cage and her abdomen was protruding out of the burrow mouth. In other words, she was facing into her burrow when I wished she was turned facing out. Still, I put the little male in her cage and hoped he would tap this time. He didn't. Ever. But the female turned around in the burrow and moved forward a few inches. The male was on the opposite end of the cage and as I tried to direct him towards her he ran out of the cage and I had to catch him. I then put him into her cage at a distance of about six inches. He did nothing, but the female started drumming. He seemed pretty oblivious (pardon my anthropomorphism) and her drumming intensified. She was drumming and drumming and he stayed still. She moved forward about two inches - a half inch or so at a time over about 30 seconds - all the while drumming. He began to stretch out and extend is pedipalps straight up, perpendicular to his body. He never tapped; he just flexed his body and stretched all his legs out and waved his pedipalps vertically. She moved closer and kept drumming until he finally approached her and they assumed a mating position. He got good inserts with both palps over about five seconds and then they broke apart. She struck towards him and he was quick enough to get a safe distance away. I was just about to remove him when the female started intensely drumming again. Before I knew it they were mating again and he had a little bit more time to get a couple more good inserts before they broke it off again. This time the female definitely tried to attack him and her chelicerae were separated and her fangs exposed. I began to cup the male and the female started drumming again! I was fascinated by her eagerness to mate and let him go back towards her and, for a third time, they mated successfully. And this time she was even more aggressive when he broke free and I thought he was "toast". He was quicker than she though... and now he is back in his own home. I don't have another female so I'll leave it up to Jeff whether he wants the male to go on to someone else with a female, or spend its retirement at the Spider Shoppe.

Cheers, Michael

PS - I did take photos, but unfortunately I had left my digital at home and had to use my film camera. It was out of film and the only roll I had left in my camera bag was slide film. So... it will be a few days to get slides made and the images transferred to disk.

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
Finally got the slides I shot scanned... Here's a series of nine photos of Jeff_C's male and my female.

1-3

Attachments

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Successful!

Temperature: 80 degrees F.
Humidity: Around 70%

Female 1: Breeding took place on 03/30/06 and 04/08/06. Inserts were observed in both cases.

Female 2: Breeding took place on 10/20/06 and 10/29/06. Inserts were observed in both cases.

Female number 1 molted out, but female 2 made an eggsac on 11/10/06. 17 days later we had eggs w/legs and on 12/06/06 they began molting into 1st instar slings! Yea! The totals are:

162 eggs total
105 developed into nymphs, 10 of which probably aren't going to make it into 1st instar slings. I haven't given up hope yet, but they're kinda deformed nymphs, so I don't think they're chances are all that high on surviving.

The remaining 95 nymphs are going to be divided between the owners of both borrowed males. :)

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ceratogyrus brachycephalus: Successful

Ceratogyrus brachycephalus breeding report

Female number: Ce_br_3

Female's most recent molt: 16 June 2010

Total Molts Since Previous Eggsac: NA - First Eggsac

Male number: Loaner (Thanks Joe -xhexdx-)

Male's ultimate molt: Unknown

First pairing: 19 October 2010

Final pairing: 19 October 2010

Total number of pairings: 1

Eggsac found: 27 February 2011

Eggsac pulled: 12 March 2011

Stage of slings when pulled: 14 March 2011

1st instar molt date: 23 March 2011

2nd instar molt date: 8 April 2011

Mom with eggsac:

Eggsac

Eggs