Centruroides mating question

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Does anyone know how the motion the male makes before the mating is called? My C. flavopictus males seem to do this, they walk a little, and then make a kind of shaking rapid movement with their body (length wise). I am sure it's part of the mating behavior, just wondering if it has a name (I call it body shock :-D).

edit: In the following movie you can see the male C. gracilis do it just a little in the very beginning (4-5 secs into the movie): http://youtube.com/watch?v=nd3IHiSjJQw

Last edited:

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi John,

I believe its commonly called juddering. Used for communication, and maybe some other things I can't remember right now. :eek:

Cheers,
Ryan

xVOWx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My male C.limbatus was doing it quite a bit when I introduced him to my female last week. Unfortunately every time he tried to grab her she would decide she wasn't having any of it :(.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My male C.limbatus was doing it quite a bit when I introduced him to my female last week. Unfortunately every time he tried to grab her she would decide she wasn't having any of it :(.
That is often a sign that she could have already been inseminated.

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I had the same last night (ha ha) when I introduced a male C. flavopictus to a female. He started to judder like crazy. She pushed him away, friendly, drank water, and when he came again, she pushed him again away with her tail. So I hope she's already pregnant.

I filmed the juddering and pushing part, now I have to check out how to use YouTube :)

froeps

Arachnopeon
don't you have an other female where you can try to breed with?
you can try this:
put them after a week back together after you feed them well and let them for a week of 2 together they will breed if she isn't allready gravid ;)
I did the same thing with my c. arctimanus

btw very nice centruroides species you have hope you can breed them and if you sell some put me on the list :} :D

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Does anyone know how the motion the male makes before the mating is called? My C. flavopictus males seem to do this, they walk a little, and then make a kind of shaking rapid movement with their body (length wise). I am sure it's part of the mating behavior, just wondering if it has a name (I call it body shock :-D).

edit: In the following movie you can see the male C. gracilis do it just a little in the very beginning (4-5 secs into the movie): http://youtube.com/watch?v=nd3IHiSjJQw

Scorpfanatic's video LOL!!!

I once kept my male C.gracilis together, and they love to have some fun every other night... unfortunately, they didnt last long, so i bought some from walton... :D