Centruroides gracilis info

Stugy

Arachnolord
I have been interested in C.gracilis for some time now and I just want to know a "few" things about the species.
1.Maximum recorded size of male and female?
2.Average amount of molts until adulthood for male and female?
3.Recommended instar to house communally?
4.Average instar for breeding potential?
5.Can climb glass or plastic?
6.Recommended temp and humidity?
7.Any specifications for molting?
Any extra info will be welcomed. And yes I did look for info I just want updated info.

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I cannot tell you a definite but they are usually of large size. The males can get to be 10cm.

5 molts (6i) for males, 6 molts (7i) for females. I believe it is possible for them to mature at one instar earlier or later but in my experience it is 6i & 7i.

Would not advise it until adults. They will readily prey on each other even if there is enough food. Seen it happen many times with C. gracilis

Scorpions can only breed when adults, so at 6i & 7i.

They cannot climb smooth surfaces, HOWEVER, if there is even a grain of sand or dirt they can cling to it. So if the walls of the enclosure have a lot of stuff on them it is possible they can climb in early instars. This is not very common though if you prepare.

I keep them around 80 degrees F and always have one moist end and a drier end so they can choose. Centruroides gracilis is one of the most widely distributed scorpions on earth due to introduction by humans. They can inhabit a bunch of different ecosystems.

Just keep the humidity and temperature high.

I have had the most success with C gracilis out of any scorpion I have cared for. They are prolific breeders and an awesome communal species at adult hood. They are large and active and are polymorphic, meaning there are multiple color morphs. I highly suggest them.

Stugy

Arachnolord
I cannot tell you a definite but they are usually of large size. The males can get to be 10cm.

5 molts (6i) for males, 6 molts (7i) for females. I believe it is possible for them to mature at one instar earlier or later but in my experience it is 6i & 7i.

Would not advise it until adults. They will readily prey on each other even if there is enough food. Seen it happen many times with C. gracilis

Scorpions can only breed when adults, so at 6i & 7i.

They cannot climb smooth surfaces, HOWEVER, if there is even a grain of sand or dirt they can cling to it. So if the walls of the enclosure have a lot of stuff on them it is possible they can climb in early instars. This is not very common though if you prepare.

I keep them around 80 degrees F and always have one moist end and a drier end so they can choose. Centruroides gracilis is one of the most widely distributed scorpions on earth due to introduction by humans. They can inhabit a bunch of different ecosystems.

Just keep the humidity and temperature high.

I have had the most success with C gracilis out of any scorpion I have cared for. They are prolific breeders and an awesome communal species at adult hood. They are large and active and are polymorphic, meaning there are multiple color morphs. I highly suggest them.
Thanks. I asked #4 because I know isopods and quite a few insects can breed when not fully grown. I should be getting a few C.gracilis soon once my mother forks over the money I earned from selling my beloved GBA.:rage:

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just to add, whatever you do, do not keep early instars in the plastic "kritter keepers" commonly sold at pet stores. They can fit right through the air slots in the lid.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I use 4-16oz deli cups to keep mine, poking or drilling small holes in the lid for ventilation, and have never had major issues. Never had escapees. Works like a charm!