Centis with no fangs

ftorres

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
HEllo All,

I would like to hear from people who purchased, centipedes from Suppliers here in the forum that came in without fangs.

three expensive centis died recently, I would like to hear everyones elses opinion.

I lost one Cherry red 4-5 inches
-also 2 Solomon island Centis 5 inch in size-

All 3 centis had no fangs,so feeding them was difficult, specially the cherry red, very jumpy guy

They started eating very little, I pre killed Crickets,and roaches. The centis will get the prey but they would not eat it.

Please let me know your expirience on this matter.
thanks
FT

JonathanF

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just received a fangless S. s. mutilans and it had already fed twice without any problems... I have tried two feeding methods:

1) I gave the other mutilans living with it a super worm. He started chewing it. As soon as it was severely damaged the fangless mutilans joined and started chewing it as well...

2) I cut a super worm in two pieces and give it to the fangless pede. This way it could get its not-so-sharp fangs into the "meaty" part of the worm and feed on it...

Best of luck,
Jonathan

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah, i got a indo blacktipped centie w/clipped fangs aswell acouple of months ago,i just gave her prekilled crix,and she gladly took them,now she's brooding eggs,it's really sad that they have to do that to them,good luck,sorry about you loosing some of them. this fang clipping,etc.has gotta stop.:mad:

Arachnomaniak

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've never had any come in this way but it definitely sounds cruel. It reminds me of documenaries on "snake charmers" that cut the fangs/venom sacks out of cobras and the cobras eventually die.
Good to hear that some have had success with some careful feeding practices. I would assume that the fangs would gradually regenerate through the molting process, depending on the extent of the damage.
Not only does it sound cruel, but I know I wouldn't want to be the person trying to hold the pede long enough to try and clip/remove the fangs! You would think it would be less trouble to just be cautious when working with them and use proper transfer methods... Sounds a lot less stressful for both the pede and the person than trying to hold the animal down to mutilate it!
Just my opinions on the matter :) If you want a centipede like animal that you don't have to worry about getting bitten by, track down someone who sells millipedes {D

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've got an Indo Black-Tip that came in defanged as well. I think he's doing pretty good though all in all, I just smash up the crickets and pitch them in with him. As long as he can get to the goods inside the bugs stomach I think it's happy.

I'm pretty excited for him to shed. It'll be nice having an Indo Black-Tipped that isn't fangless. I've had him since about March as well.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've got an Indo Black-Tip that came in defanged as well. I think he's doing pretty good though all in all, I just smash up the crickets and pitch them in with him. As long as he can get to the goods inside the bugs stomach I think it's happy.

I'm pretty excited for him to shed. It'll be nice having an Indo Black-Tipped that isn't fangless. I've had him since about March as well.
did the shc molt yet?
the other one did.

ftorres

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
HEllo All,

I got mine around march too, and I was feeding them roaches, they started taking them with out a problem, althought they strugle a little bit, but they satrted to pay less attention to them, little by little until they just taste the roach and just leave them there.

Good luck with all of yours guys. specially the one on eggs, I could use some babies.

regards
FT

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
did the shc molt yet?
the other one did.
Drachs how goes it man? You know, the SHC looks quite a bit bigger, so I'm thinking it did molt. I just wasn't lucky enough to catch the little turd in the process! SHC's another GREAT pede indeed!