CENTIPEDES!

Scolopendra Kendrick

Arachnopeon
Hello internet bug people. This is my first post on here. I have come to this website looking for centipedes. I have been the owner of many inverts and the caretaker to many centipedes.
I have found it harder and harder to obtain GOOD centipedes. All anyone cares about it is the typical Vietnamese centipedes and I am sick of it. I'm trying
To reach out and find quality Pedes that are hard to find anymore. Anyone one with further info please let me know.

I'm looking for other leads than than the websites I've already been stalking for months and months. (Ken the big guy. Bugs in cyber space. tarantula spiders. )

Why isn't the centipede community bigger? It's almost a dying breed, I mean outside of the over circulated Vietnamese centipede. I feel like that is the only traded pede.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Agreed. Few people see the beauty and appeal of what, in my opinion, is one of the bug world's greatest marvels.

Salvador

Arachnosquire
S.dehaani are pretty good if you ask me, underappreciated to a high degree. But, I do know where you're coming from. The variety of species available has shrunk recently, and there are a lot of problems when it comes to the more unusual species that come up from time to time.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I don't think a lot of the big name sellers have them at this point because they've decided to focus on the more popular groups that will bring them more money. Stamp's Tarantulas is the only big name I can think of that tries to import a variety of odd species from time to time. I know several hobbyists though that have several species and have been trying to bring in more.

@Widow lover, you've been getting a lot of sweet species lately, any thoughts on this?

Scolopendra Kendrick

Arachnopeon
@pannaking22 stamps looks to have good quality pedes. It bums me out how quick everything sells and also the price of some of those pedes haha. But I guess I could expect that.

I just wish they were easier to import so people in the U.S. could start trying to breed more captive.

But I mean I guess that couldn't really happen either because if there isn't money in it people won't want to invest into that. Bummer. :(

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Sadly when it comes to centipedes we doesn't have that much of availability and choice like there's for Theraphosidae. For reasons that are beyond my comprehension, almost 7/8 out of 10 T's owners (including long time folks in the hobby) wouldn't want one.

That's why (unlike for T's) 99% of centipedes are WC. That's why no one bother to sex those (a bit complicated, and not worth IMO for the reasons stated above) and the only info is their size when they sold those. That's why 90% of the time there's available only the Asian ones (and btw, basically S.subspinipes and S.dehaani) because they are cheap.

Here in Europe from what I know maybe the situation is a bit better than in the U.S, saw recently nice and quite rare centipedes at TSS (now already sold, obviously) but still a nothing, compared to the T's market, where the demand is powerful. On the other hand here S.heros and such are very rare (at least here).

I understand you man. This sucks.

P.S

I know what you mean but Vietnam pedes are amazing my man :kiss:

lovebugfarm

Arachnopeon
I think if there was easier to find reliable info out there people would breed more. Maybe not at tarantula breeding levels but at least at scorpion levels it would be nice to have 20-30 people breeding centipedes in the states. I see at least 3 posts a year about people wanting to breed centipedes but there isn't much info and people give up. Then the issue of demand like scorpions people are fine with big and cheap smaller rarer spieces get ignored. Luckially there's good info on breeding scorpions so there are a few people who do. Myself I have a group of r longipipes I will be trying to breed in a communal setup this year and have been trying to collect native Texas red heads to breed next year...if I can find info on breeding them.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
I would love to see more centipedes available. The 'hunt' is part of the fun though.