Centipedes or millipedes - what do you prefer and why?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Cool vids. Geez, watching the antennae get through and the way it was trying to force it's head in would've made me too paranoid to use that enclosure without modifying/changing :wideyed:
Oh a normal show here in my room :-s
At least four times I saw my S.subspinipes pushing his/her antennae out, but failed. When I saw that, the answer is offering an adult B.dubia, and that greedy monster turns an angel. Like a Mafia enforcer when someone "pay" instead of ending with a brand new pair of concrete shoes. Lazyness, basically :)

basin79

ArachnoGod
Funny, I've never had to deal with centipedes escaping before. I guess I'm lucky.
You're not lucky. You've just taken every precaution. Which is of upmost importance.

Like I typed I had the pede in that 145lt RUB for months and months and it was fine.

I ordered a couple of very tall RUBS after (over 2ft) and never had a problem after. Just irks me how after a long time it managed to get out.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
You're not lucky. You've just taken every precaution. Which is of upmost importance.

Like I typed I had the pede in that 145lt RUB for months and months and it was fine.

I ordered a couple of very tall RUBS after (over 2ft) and never had a problem after. Just irks me how after a long time it managed to get out.
I use a plastic KIS enclosure, and height definitely is not what is, in general, suggested for centipedes (I am, and was, full aware of that, of course). So far no escapes, failed attempts. But anyway, a good heavy book on the lid will do the job... I think, I think :shifty:

basin79

ArachnoGod
I use a plastic KIS enclosure, and height definitely is not what is, in general, suggested for centipedes (I am, and was, full aware of that, of course). So far no escapes, failed attempts. But anyway, a good heavy book on the lid will do the job... I think, I think :shifty:
Height just means you never have to worry a pede getting out. It also makes maintenance easier. Not having to worry about the pede escaping whilst the lid is off.

If the 145lt RUBs had tight fitting lids they'd be ideal as they provide a good amount of floor space. Even for a large pede.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Height just means you never have to worry a pede getting out. It also makes maintenance easier. Not having to worry about the pede escaping whilst the lid is off.

If the 145lt RUBs had tight fitting lids they'd be ideal as they provide a good amount of floor space. Even for a large pede.
Yeah I know that of course. My concern isn't when the lid is off (I completely remove the top opening, always, for maintenance and watering) but when the top opening is closed, since the bugger loves to climb (using the drilled air holes) but anyway, I rate my no escape proof enclosure secure at 70% at least. 80% maybe :-s

The other 30/20 % belongs to the domain of adrenaline, thrill seeking etc

basin79

ArachnoGod
Yeah I know that of course. My concern isn't when the lid is off (I completely remove the top opening, always, for maintenance and watering) but when the top opening is closed, since the bugger loves to climb (using the drilled air holes) but anyway, I rate my no escape proof enclosure secure at 70% at least. 80% maybe :-s

The other 30/20 % belongs to the domain of adrenaline, thrill seeking etc
Pedes do enjoy a good climb.

Marika

Arachnoangel
Definitely millipedes. They are cute, beautiful, harmless and don't require live prey. Centipedes are fascinating in their own way, but they are also creepy and I don't think I would ever get one.

SDCPs

Arachnolord
For ease of maintenance, reproduction, and being harmless--millipedes all the way!

Although centipedes are super cool ;)

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Idk if it is just because I have had more experience with centipedes, but I always saw them as much easier to look after than millipedes. Every millipede colony I kept died out eventually, but my centipedes are super hardy, and many have been in my possession for several years.

UltimateDracoMeteor

Arachnosquire
I might be biased as I've never kept any centipedes (though I have previously interacted with Geophilomorpha), but I'd say millipedes by a hair.
Advantages of keeping a millipede: Adorable faces, docile, much easier to feed, take up less space generally due to the small size of the common pet species other than A. gigas
Advantages of a centipede: Pretty cute as well, vicious, smarter than millipedes, and give a hint of danger to your keeping

A millipede is a perfect pet for a beginner, too. They're not intimidating as they're adorable, very slow, and tend to be big enough to see the face but small enough to fit in the palm of your hand. They're like the cockroach of the non-insect arthropods. They also have a lot more diverse color and shape variations, with most commonly available centipedes being black, brown, yellow, red, or a combination of those while millipedes can be found in variations such as black+white, red, black+yellow, flat-bodied with black+yellow, black, pink, yellow+gray, gray, light blue, and even rainbow!

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
I understand that overseas, you guys probably get sick of the same red/yellow/brown dehaani pedes all the time, but here in Australia centipedes definitely win the colour competition. I generally have only kept two species: Scolopendra morsitans and Ethmostigmus rubripes, but the variety of colour morphs they come in here makes it feel like I have about a hundred species available.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Centipedes. If I ever have to go into battle, an armored demon would make the best companion.

If only they could breathe fire... :sorry:

CarbonBasedLifeform

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My millipedes are guaranteed to always be out at night. There is such variety and they are easy to care for.

I got an H marginata to start my centipede collection and it stays buried 24/7. I'll sneak into the room with a flashlight at night to see if it is out, nope. All the Ts, scorps, and millipedes are doing stuff. The centipede is buried. I'm still waiting for the day I can watch it hunt a cricket.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I rate my no escape proof enclosure secure at 70% at least. 80% maybe :-s The other 30/20 % belongs to the domain of adrenaline, thrill seeking etc
Advantages of a centipede: Pretty cute as well, vicious, smarter than millipedes, and give a hint of danger to your keeping
You centipede keepers be crazy! :p Somehow I have worrying about a venomous creature escaping into my living space in the Cons category... :eek:

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm not brave enough to deal with centipede venom, just millipedes for me. That said, I've been getting real discouraged by how some species just don't thrive in captivity. I never got over the gradual dieoff of my Philippine giant blue-greys. That's why I find tarantulas a lot easier and less stressful to keep, haha.

UltimateDracoMeteor

Arachnosquire
I'm not brave enough to deal with centipede venom, just millipedes for me. That said, I've been getting real discouraged by how some species just don't thrive in captivity. I never got over the gradual dieoff of my Philippine giant blue-greys. That's why I find tarantulas a lot easier and less stressful to keep, haha.
What's that species' scientific name and where did you get it? I haven't seen any like that available in America.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I know what you mean. I was really disappointed that none of my Xystodesmids lived for more than several months and, while I saw mating, never eggs nor pedelings. :( Some of my Spirobolids too have not done well for I don't know what reason (similar to what you describe for your Philippine giant blue-greys) but thankfully, all that has been balanced by several species doing well and even reproducing in abundance. :) And as you say, tarantulas are much easier and very rewarding -- my only stress with them is as unsuccessful matchmaker, haha. :rolleyes:

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer