Centipede's constipation, idk?

Arina

Arachnopeon
My centipede is dying :depressed: She molted a month ago, and all this time she was inactive, didn't ate much, and didn't dig holes (earlier it was her favorite thing to do). All this month she had sudden body movements often (convulsions, spasm I think?). Recently she stopped pooping. Now she lying almost immobilized and making strange tail movements. Can a centipede die of constipation? I read something about this, but I might be wrong. I just don’t know what else could be the matter. Sorry for the mistakes.

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
My centipede is dying :depressed: She molted a month ago, and all this time she was inactive, didn't ate much, and didn't dig holes (earlier it was her favorite thing to do). All this month she had sudden body movements often (convulsions, spasm I think?). Recently she stopped pooping. Now she lying almost immobilized and making strange tail movements. Can a centipede die of constipation? I read something about this, but I might be wrong. I just don’t know what else could be the matter. Sorry for the mistakes.
It’s possible, as the same thing can happen in Ts, but I’ve never heard a confirmed case of a pede dying as a result of impaction. If it’s really suffering from an impaction, I’m afraid there’s not much you can do :(

Arina

Arachnopeon
It’s possible, as the same thing can happen in Ts, but I’ve never heard a confirmed case of a pede dying as a result of impaction. If it’s really suffering from an impaction, I’m afraid there’s not much you can do :(
I get it, thanks for answering :depressed:

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Impaction can definitely happen in centipedes, apparently coconut coir and more fibrous substrates can cause this and I suspect killed a Scolopendra heros specimen on me. I use a fine composted soil mix now for substrate and haven't had any issues. It is also possible your centipede was just old so don't beat yourself up about it, you can never tell how old WC specimens are.

Arina

Arachnopeon
Impaction can definitely happen in centipedes, apparently coconut coir and more fibrous substrates can cause this and I suspect killed a Scolopendra heros specimen on me. I use a fine composted soil mix now for substrate and haven't had any issues. It is also possible your centipede was just old so don't beat yourself up about it, you can never tell how old WC specimens are.
I use coconut substrate, do you think it’s bad for the centipedes?

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
I use coconut substrate, do you think it’s bad for the centipedes?
I used it for a while without issues but I did have an S heros pass away with pretty clear signs of it in the gut and a few other people I know have observed pedes eating small amounts of substrate. I know of a centipede having a strand of coco coir get stuck in it's vent that had to be removed with forceps after the pede was knocked out too so I just avoid it.

Arina

Arachnopeon
I used it for a while without issues but I did have an S heros pass away with pretty clear signs of it in the gut and a few other people I know have observed pedes eating small amounts of substrate. I know of a centipede having a strand of coco coir get stuck in it's vent that had to be removed with forceps after the pede was knocked out too so I just avoid it.
this is so horrible omg now I will know. thanks for reply

Arina

Arachnopeon

Nephaleim

Arachnosquire
My Archispirostreptus Gigas is dying. I noticed there are fibers sticking out of her butt. Indigested material. Impacted. Kept her on coconut soil.

I'll never use coconut soil for my millipedes again.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
You say it started to die following a molt. Were there any crickets or signs of it getting nibbled on? Is it a wild-caught first molt or a specimen that molted successfully in captivity times prior?