Centipede vs Tarantula video

szappan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey everyone, just letting you know posted another video on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f5gBFMMmGc

I didn't film this one so hopefully I won't take as much heat for it or spark a big debate — just passing along some interesting footage.
Although it's professionally shot, I still think it's a pretty obvious that it's a set-up.

Anyways, as always, all the best:
szappan

PS: I will hopefully have a HQ version ready for download by tomorrow for those interested.

Last edited:

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
a im assuming subspinipse versus a albopilosum????? ya right

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
it's pretty obvious theu are not from the same habitat, "robusta" vs albopilosum, clearly a set up and misinformation

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks for the corrention Randolph :), as you say, the centepede emerges from a flower pot hide lol

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This form of entertainment is sickening IMO. When will these kind of videos stop. (sigh) I'll be good this time and safely (I hope) say, "The predatory instincts of the Centipede are quite fascinating. With that being said, I still think it wasn't a fair fight."

Last edited:

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
:? I really wonder how many animals have been killed by documentarians? :?

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
Hedorah99 said:
:? I really wonder how many animals have been killed by documentarians? :?
That video with the spider killing the fer-de-lance was staged..Ask Rick...
How horrible is it compared to a T ravaging a cricket or mouse? :?
Or a female eating a male?

Where IS the line?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
tony said:

Where IS the line?
dear gods!... i agree =P

i still wouldn't mix up *my* bugs like that, but it is hard for me to objectively say it is wrong, when i slaughter a hundred roaches etc a week MUCH to my amusement

hmm, the loose leaf litter must have screwed up the taras tremble sense... it got jumped BADLY!

Last edited:

RVS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, my problem isn't that it's a centipede eating a tarantula. In my opinon, a centipede eating a tarantula is really no different than one of my tarantulas eating a cricket, or one of my centipedes eating a mouse, however my real problem is that this is staged for entertainment purposes and presented as a nature documentary.

jarrell

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
tony said:

Where IS the line?
great point I forget about that some times:clap:

It looks like Discovery channel stages things now, or did they always do that?

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
guys! leave him alone ok? he has sent me some of the emails from idiots saying things like, they are gonna kill him and his family. im sure he gets all the rudeness he needs already, he does not need the bs everyone on here is/will give him. i talked to him, hes a nice guy, and he certainly isnt trying to start trouble, so i think we ALL need to back off from him.

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
er um.....are you guys mad at him or the video? if its the video, i apoligize to everyone.

ilovebugs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
cacoseraph said:
hmm, the loose leaf litter must have screwed up the taras tremble sense... it got jumped BADLY!
yea, I noticed that. poor guy didn't stand a chance.

I watched a few of your vids on there. the S. Polymorpha bite is funny.

I'm scared to pic up my scolopendromorph like that hehe

CopperInMyVeins

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Does anyone else here remember that show "Wild America" with marty stouffer? There was a huge controversy over a lot of predator/prey interaction in those shows being staged too, but his intent was still to educate. I guess in some cases it's just too improbable to be able to show a certain behavior being discussed in a natural setting. Still an interesting video, but I'd rather these shows just let us know when something is being done in a controlled environment.

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
szappan said:
PS: I will hopefully have a HQ version ready for download by tomorrow for those interested.
i'm interested :)

really nice footage of that Scolopendrid !
(to bad there's a T at the end :rolleyes: ;) )

Ganoderma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
what nature show isn't staged? it could take months in non-interfered environment to get the footage some of these shows have. i don't care what eats what as long as it wasn't hurt intentionally or put through some kind of cruel game etc (ie rattlesnake roundup).

i like t's, but nothing is untouchable on the food chain.

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, that's some really nice footage of the pede, i especially like the shots from underneith, with the pede walking over the camera's POV.

As for the tarantula being eaten, it's not something i peronally would do, but any of us would have a hard time not being a hypocrite if we were to say it's wrong. As others have pointed out already, whats the difference between a tarantula, a roach, a cricket, or a locust......?

Cheers,

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well, the differences to me is- the organism takes longer to grow up and can live pretty long compare to the other invertebrates listed above
it's a waste of natural resources from my view
when u can feed a roach that only needs three months to mature, why feed a 4 year old T?
just my two cents