Centipede setups

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Kaulback said:
Steven, what kind of lid lock are you using on those containers on the left?
These are a kind of "Curver" boxes (31 Liter) where the lid falls inside the container and with 2 locks,... hope this pictures makes it clear ?
(I've been tipped by these boxes by some Dutch Poisonous snake-keepers,... 99% escape-proof :) )

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow. Steven, i am seriously jealous! I would love to have a setup like that. At them moment i am stil having to cram everything into my bedroom, and i am seriously running out of space.

Is the whole room yours to use just for your animals? When i next move house and actually buy my own, one of the most important things I'll be looking for is an extra room for my animals!

Cheers,

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
danread said:
Is the whole room yours to use just for your animals?
I wish :rolleyes:,... No, just 1/2 of the room is planned for stacking pedes,...
i've got a girlfriend and 2 daughters who have claimed the other 1/2 part of the room,... :eek: :)

i'm allready happy they gave me this part of the house {D

i'll post pictures when it's all in place :D
(right now i'm setting up the Gigantea-containers :cool: )

Melmoth

ArachnoSweetTalker
Old Timer
Hey Steven,
Looks like Centipede City at your house :D

George

fatbloke

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Steven
thats going to be 1 nice room for you pedes when its finished

john

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
My gigantea tank...No decorations, I just got around to CNC'ing the lid..The pede cant even stand up near the top at this point. In this pic it has burrowed but I put it at about 7.5" or so.. I see you all include the terminal legs in your measurments? I didnt...next time it's out I shall try a reference pic
Tony

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Tony,

that looks to be about as safe as can be i reckon! There is no way its getting out of there, even with the lid off. I really need to sort out my gigantea tanks, all of them are far too shallow, there pede can be up and out in a flash if it wanted to be, The thing is, the deeper the tank, the less of them i can have, so i'm willing to take a degree of risk.

Cheers,

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
Thanks Dan
You can see a sliver of the container it was in originally on the right...About 9" dia and 6" deep or so... Definitley exciting come feeding time. When I put it in the 20 gal. , I did notice it could stand up for approximately 3/4" it's body length...The lid is just the icing on the cake ;)

Right now the only other pede is a 'polymorpha' I think, got it gree at the ATS last year...
Tony

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very nice Steven. They look like they will be happy in there, hopefully happy enough to lay eggs this spring...... :D

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
danread said:
there, hopefully happy enough to lay eggs this spring...... :D
i've got 1 female from John (Fatbloke) (pict#2),... that lady isn't eating much lately but is becoming very very beautiful (Fat ? ;),randolph20)

quite sure she's gravid :D

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Steven said:
Hey, Watch it buddy !!! :mad:

never call my ladies fat !

Not fat....big boned.....hey wait a minute, she doesn't have any bones....I guess she IS fat.............. {D

Bob

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Here are pictures of my enclosure for my S. subspinipes, I will be doing smoe redecorating sometime soon (going to get some moss for additional hiding places).

I made the end pieces to make it "escape proof" by bending pieces of tin into the correct shape and then attached it via a nut and bolt to the container (which has a locking mechanism in the middle itself)

Here is my small (6' x 5' x 5') spider room:

Mori

Last edited:

fatbloke

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Steven

nice looking setups for the gigantea's
i thought the pede in the second picture looked very Familiar :D hope you have more luck with it laying eggs then me
if i ever see a pede laying eggs again i will leave the camera well alone

john