Centipede setups

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,

I just thought i share a few of my pede setups with you all. They are all fairly minimal at the moment in the decor i use for them, partially for ease, as its easier to deal with centipedes in an uncrowded environment, and partially because i havent had time to set anything better up! I am planning to do a fully planted setup in a 3'x1' tank at some point for one of my gigantea, but i'm waiting until i have some more space where i live. Post all of your setups, i'd like to get some more ideas for what to do, so especially any naturalistic ones.
First up is my invert shelving unit and one of my S.subspinipes vietnamese tanks. The smaller plastic box is what i keep my smaller pedes in (the juvi S.morsitans and S.cingulata etc).

Attachments

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
these are my gigantea setups, the smaller one is in the first tank, and my "robusta" is in the second. At the moment the robusta is stilll in a chamber it has dug at the back of the tank and sealed up. I'm not going to take any photos for a week or so as i don't want to disturb it.
I also have a few other setups, but these are just mostly plastic tubs like in the bottom of the first picture. They aren't the best for observing the pedes, so i am going to upgrade them to glass ones at some point. I am also planning on making new lids for all the tanks, at present they are just plastic lids held down with insulating tape, but i'd like wood and glass ones that are more secure.
Right, post your setups!

Attachments

fatbloke

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
dan

nice looking set ups at this moment in time i dont have any pics of my setups but i do keep my pedes in either large critter keepers or those crystal tubs all with simple setups with a hide and water bowl for ease of care im a bit wary of using glass tanks as a mate lost a pede from one in the past (mention no names AR :D )

john

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
nice set-up :cool:

i'll take pictures of mine
when i'm done with the whole movement :rolleyes:

Melmoth

ArachnoSweetTalker
Old Timer
when i'm done with the whole movement :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
Are you moving house Steven,or just moving your pedes about?
George

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Melmoth said:
when i'm done with the whole movement :rolleyes:
Are you moving house Steven,or just moving your pedes about?
George[/QUOTE]

i'll be moving house end this year,... now i'm moving rooms ;)

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just thought i'd update a few pictures of my setups now that i've moved house. I put up a few shelves in my room to hold the pedes (the bottom tanks is my Royals), and the other shelving unit has got a few tarantulas, the rest of my pede collection and a load of pedelings.

Cheers,

Attachments

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
very nice and clean Dan :clap:
I didn't knew you had moved ?

just a few days and i'll be moving 2 :cool:

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, it was a few months ago, but it's taken me a while to get properly set up in my new room. Good luck with the move, its a bit of a nightmare moving lots of tanks, as i'm sure you're about to find out! :rolleyes: ;)

Btw, i got 8 of the baby S. subspinipes 'stripe legs'. They are interesting little things, and they don't look anything like the baby subspinipes i got off you. So either the theory of all subspinipes plings lookng the same isn't right, or the stripe legs aren't subspinipes? I'll try and post some photos of them, but it is difficult to get good ones, they are so small and always want to sit at the edge of the container, or move around constantly, which doesnt make for good photos. The ones i own have black heads at the moment, are yours the same?

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
danread said:
The ones i own have black heads at the moment, are yours the same?
yep :) , black(dark green) head,... yellowish body with black bandings

Jaytek

Arachnopeon
i like those enclosures dan, never seen any look quite like those. would you mind telling me what company distributes them?

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Jaytek,

All the bigger enclosures are bog standard glass tanks made by a UK company called clearseal. I really like glass tanks as the make for a much better presentation, but they are more expensive (about £9 for the smaller ones and £13 for the larger ones. The major drawback is the lids arent very good, they are only thin, poorly fitting plastic, and have to hold them on with electrical tape. I am planning on making some new lids with wood frames and acrylic plastic for the top, which should hopefully be more secure.

The small plastic containers on the top shelf in the bottom photo are distributed by a catering company, they are clear polycarbonate containers, great for smaller pedes, and holes can be melted in the sides with a soldering iron.

Cheers,

RobertoMello

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey danred wahts the sp of the scolopendra of the last photo in the big one ???

how long is it ?

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
None other that Scolopendra gigantea, thats a fraction off being 30cm long (from head to end of terminal legs).

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
RobertoMello said:
hey danred wahts the sp of the scolopendra of the last photo in the big one ???

how long is it ?
I was thinking the same thing, looks like an anaconda :D :clap:

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
work in progress, hopefully finished end next week :eek: :D

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You're lucky to have such a great space. Wow, the things I could do with a workroom like that! :D

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
423 said:
I was thinking the same thing, looks like an anaconda :D :clap:
no doubt! that one caught my eye and i just gaped at it for a minute or two lol...tryin to figure out if it was real or not! been debating getting a pede in the relatively near future, need to do a lot more research first.

the gigantea's are very expensive correct?

Kaulback

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Steven, what kind of lid lock are you using on those containers on the left?

arachnoid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Man! By using that bottle of Febreeze on the side as a size reference, that gigantea is friggin HUGE !