Centipede Info

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Few questions for you centipede owners, as I am considering one for myself.

Scolopendra heros: how big do they get and what is their lifespan?

Scolopendra subspinipes: Same as above.

Is there any particular beginner centipede? or are they all generally nasty?

Any additional info for the beginner enthusisast would be appreciated that is not on the centipede page.

Thanks!

Mark

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Welcome to the dark side, the Scolo bug has been biting quite a lot of people recently. THe Heros and other American centipedes are good starters, the bite is painful but not as serious as a Subspinipes bite. Have you looked into the Tanzanian smaller pedes and the feathertails?

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Scolopendra heros: how big do they get and what is their lifespan?

6-8" is probably averange, but 10" isn't unheard of. No one's really sure on the lifespan of any centipede, but I've heard estimates of anywhere between 4 and 7 years.

Scolopendra subspinipes: Same as above.

About the same as S. heros, but I'd say the average size is a bit larger.

Is there any particular beginner centipede? or are they all generally nasty?

Well, they're all pretty high stung and prone to biting, if that's what you mean. Some species tend to be a little calmer than others. The biggest issue for beginners I'd say is hardiness and ability to escape. S. subspinipes is a large pede and as such is better at reaching the top edge of a cage, and therefore better at escaping. It is, however a very hardy captive, although it tends to hide much of the time. S. heros is also fairly hardy, but IMO it does better with a little more ventilation than you'd give S. subspinipes.

IMO, a great beginner pede is S. polymorpha. These are very hardy. They are a southwestern US species, but smaller than S. heros. Most average between 3-5" but they can get to impressive sizes. I have one right now that's right about 6".

Wade

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Definitely Wade. S. polymorpha is a good starter. They do have plenty of attitude, but the bite isn't reported to be anything close to that of S. subspinipes. PLus, they're easy to acquire, hardy in captivity, and inexpensive. S. heros are a bit more on the pricey side and aren't always that easy to find as adults or subs. It seems that (at least in my experience as well as a few others) they aren't that easy to raise from babies. I believe what Wade said is true about the ventilation being a key factor with S. heros.

Lately, I've come to realize that Alipes sp. (feather tail) centipedes are probably not a bad starter specie either. The 2 I have are generally very shy. Anytime they've been disturbed, the only real defensiveness they have shown me is the tail-rattling that they do. Usually while they're diving under the substrate to hide. Just a thought.

Atrax

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks alot for all the info. I will take a look at the polymorpha for sure.

Mark