Centipede Enclosure

Peter_Parker

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just wanted to get you guys' opinion on the new habitat I'm setting up for the s. subspinipes I'm getting soon. Is it an accurate potrayal of this species' natural habitat? Just one more question: Does the species do a lot of climbing? I saw a discovery channel show with a centipede in it chasing an iguana around in a bigger and a lot more elaborate enclosure, but it was climbing all around on the sticks and stuff. I'll add more pics as I finish it, and if any of you guys have interesting pics of how you keep your pedes, it would really help me out. Thanks :D

Attachments

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
lol its like a walk in the jungle (kinda) complete with foot path , nice touch witht the info thingy

Peter_Parker

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
info thingy

yeah I like to put little information things on each of the display tanks because I do little nature presentations and teach the neighborhood kids/the kids in my youth group about the different critters. I want to make it more "jungle-y" but I need to find a source of that moss that grows really fast and covers everything in a short time :confused:

maxident213

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Kinda hard to tell the depth of the substrate, but it looks like a beautiful set-up to me, nice job. :)

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
a nice moss is Kyoto moss i believe you can order it off the interweb it grows at a resonable speed but assuming ur not gonna change the tank around eerymonth it would be something to look into

Peter_Parker

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
maxident213 said:
Kinda hard to tell the depth of the substrate, but it looks like a beautiful set-up to me, nice job. :)
At its deepest point, the substrate is about 1.5-2 inches deep. Should it be deeper? Thanks for the compliment :D

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Peter_Parker said:
At its deepest point, the substrate is about 1.5-2 inches deep. Should it be deeper? Thanks for the compliment :D
i would make the substrate at least 4" or more. centipedes should be thought of as burrowers or obligate burrowers

Peter_Parker

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Good advice, I'm switching the tank around again anyway, since I just bought some new plants to go in it, and they need extra bedding as well :)

swatc1h

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice. I had a peice of wood like that but in the following days it fungus up badly, i just stick to rubbermaid containers. BTW in the upper left hand side of yr tank what sp yr getting yo and where did you obtain that cool sticker.

Peter_Parker

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
swatc1h said:
Nice. I had a peice of wood like that but in the following days it fungus up badly, i just stick to rubbermaid containers. BTW in the upper left hand side of yr tank what sp yr getting yo and where did you obtain that cool sticker.
I'm getting s. subspinipes, the "classic" vietnamese. I made the sticker on paint shop pro, I make them for all my different displays, I think it gives it more of a zoo-like feel :D

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Peter_Parker said:
I'm getting s. subspinipes, the "classic" vietnamese. I made the sticker on paint shop pro, I make them for all my different displays, I think it gives it more of a zoo-like feel :D
i think the way my room smells gives it a zoo-like feel (or smell) :)

Peter_Parker

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
lol

cacoseraph said:
i think the way my room smells gives it a zoo-like feel (or smell) :)
LMAO I know the feeling (and the smell :D ). Here's a pic of the updated setup with deeper substrate and a few more little decorations:

Attachments

Voracious

Arachnopeon
Looks great! That's almost zoo-quality. I'll probably ask YOUR advice when my wife decides I can keep scolo's! ;-)

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Your tank looks beautiful! I love the little path you made with the rocks.
I like to try to put my bugs in natural habitats too. I just set up my tank for a S. subspinipes. I've had him for about a week and he hasn't burrowed yet. He uses his little cave which is cool. Sometimes he brings his food up on top of the plants to eat it but unfortunately he's broken a few of the plants by doing that. lol.
Here's a pic of my little jungle tank. It's just a 10 gallon with about 4" of substrate. On the right you can see his tail and one of the broken plants:

Peter_Parker

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
xenobug said:
I like to try to put my bugs in natural habitats too. I just set up my tank for a S. subspinipes. I've had him for about a week and he hasn't burrowed yet. He uses his little cave which is cool. Sometimes he brings his food up on top of the plants to eat it but unfortunately he's broken a few of the plants by doing that. lol.
Here's a pic of my little jungle tank. It's just a 10 gallon with about 4" of substrate. On the right you can see his tail and one of the broken plants:
Your setup is excellent! I like looking at pictures of different people's enclosures because each one is unique and has some of the maker's personality in it! My scolo is due to arrive either tommorow or thursday, so when he/she comes I will post a new pic of it in the setup and see if its functional as well as beautiful {D

maxident213

Arachnolord
Old Timer
xenobug said:
Your tank is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen! Great work! :clap:

You should post more pics, ones that show your pede better. ;)

Peter_Parker

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They're here.... :)

Heh heh, my pedes came today :D :D :D I got an extra freebie with my order so I'm gonna either put together a similar setup for it or trade it for another species. I'll post pics of her in her new home, but shes currently hiding under one of the logs so I'll see if I can coax her out with food.{D

Peter_Parker

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here she is!

Here she is in the setup when I first put her in. Since then she has burrowed under the substrate and hasn't been seen since ;)

Attachments