Centipede Breeding Discussion Thread

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Does seem like a better way to go, than just tossing them together and hoping for the best. I would think someone has tried this before?

I would even think it possible that if they were a pair, the male might build his sperm web before even removing the barrier.

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hibludij, you'll have to make those holes VERY SMALL!!!! Those guys can go through very, very small holes... I'm not so sure if you could foretell the receptivity of each centipedes by having them seing each other... I guess only experimentation will tell...

phil.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
has anyone ever tried to put two pedes in the same enclouser and put in some kinda net thingy(with glass on top so they cant climbe over) to seperate them so they can see and smell (whatever they do with the antenas) each other but canot atack each other and then watch the reactions to figure out if they are hostile or atracted to each other?
Some people have tried it and it is outlined in the Giant Centipedes book. However, the problem with centipede breeding in general is people are nearly always starting with wild-caught adult females and at least some, if not all, species are proven capable of retaining sperm more than 18 months. It's impossible to say any 'breeding' method has worked with a wild-caught female. Same problem is encountered with trying to prove or disprove parthenogenesis.

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
Ive had a couple of sucessfull matings. I simply housed the supposed males and females together for a co0uple months....risky but never had any problems.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sleeting right now here in central TX:?. Weird. Welp, anyway, I think I could do a lot of breeding experiments since I have a lot of pedes right now. I have mostly a bunch S. h. castaneiceps and that's the sp I'm referring to. I have 9 adults and a lot of babies that are 10 months old. I had 3 females that laid eggs. They all laid eggs within 2 or 3 days of each other. Pretty sure it was the first week in June. I could nail that down by pulling up old egg pics. I switch my pedes from 10 gal terrs to 1 gal plastic jugs to save space. But I don't switch them very often. Funny thing is that they seem more calm/content in the plastic jugs than in the glass 10 gal. I don't see them desperate to get out in the jugs but I see them walking all over in the glass terrs and trying to climb the glass. Plenty of rocks to hide under and plenty of moisture in the terrs. The humidity is higher in the jugs though since they are shut, maybe has something to do with it. I've had some of these for 2 years now. I haven't had any adults die since I started the hobby again 2 years ago. All the eggs were laid in the jugs. They made tunnels against the sides of the plastic jugs. When they where ready to lay eggs, they each made a chamber and shut themselves in. I'm going to attempt a mating pretty soon I think. I should try to catch it on video. The two I think I'm going to put together are in the pics below. Here are a lot of the babies from last year. 10 months old now. There is a big difference in size/growth (pics). Around 4 or 5 are monsters compared to the others. The plings from the light legged female of the breeding pair I posted pics of in this thread all have light colored legs like their mother.

Some adults in plastic jugs:

If I had to guess, I'd say this would be a male. But I found one that looked a lot like this with babies, so, who knows:

I know this one is a female becuase she laid eggs:

Baby condos:

Extreme size difference in some babies of the same age. Some are VERY aggresive feeders, others seem very shy of live food.

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, the last tergum on your ''female'' is MUCH larger than on the ''male'', for some reason i was always looking at the terminals themselves... Very nice pics, Galapo :)!!!!

phil.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Some people have tried it and it is outlined in the Giant Centipedes book. However, the problem with centipede breeding in general is people are nearly always starting with wild-caught adult females and at least some, if not all, species are proven capable of retaining sperm more than 18 months. It's impossible to say any 'breeding' method has worked with a wild-caught female. Same problem is encountered with trying to prove or disprove parthenogenesis.
I wholeheartedly agree with you, but I think our first step should be trying to figure out how to propogate these in the hobby.

After this, everything else will fall into place.

However, there's not a whole lot being done on this. It's good to see some people trying.

Galapoheros...my SHC from acon last year is just under three inches. Probably less. Do you think there's a maximum size or gender difference between the fast growing and slow growing type?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've wondered that too. I don't know. I had over 200 babies. I tried to keep all of the ones that were growing VERY noticeably faster than the rest. That ratio turned out to be about 1 out of 40ish. That's a very rough estimate. There are all different sizes. It just so happens that about 5 are huge compared to many of the other ones. Actually, the three biggest ones are about the same size but there are a few close behind. It may not mean anything at all when it comes to "growth and gender", or how big they could eventually get. I've heard rumors of people seeing huge S. h. castaneiceps out there. But the stories usually come from people that are scared of them. People exaggerate things they are afraid of in their head. It makes them run away faster:). But I believed a couple of people that told me some crazy stories. The late owner of the Snakefarm and his wife told my they had one in their store that was 16 inches long. I have to see to believe. They started arguing over what color it was so, that backed up their story a little more as far as I was concerned. He said it was an S. h. castaneiceps. She said it wasn't and they started getting after it, arguing back and forth. She said it was a "sandy" color. He said it was black. But the really big one I have now is not black, it's brown. I guess that could be described as being a "sandy" color. It kind of fits. They said their nephew brought it in but they couldn't remember where he had gotten it. Seems like they thought he found it in NM:confused: . The couple looked like they were in their 70s. I've told this story before. I asked how they knew it was 16 inches. He brought me over to what they kept it in and said that it touched each end of the terr it was in, and the terr was 16 inches long. I know that's hard to swallow. Anyway, I was speculating WAY out there and wondering if there is a "gigantism" kind of gene floating around in the heros gene pool that is usually not dominant. I finally got a really big one that has a body length of 9.5 inches. I plan on comparing two pics that I think will look pretty strange. One will be of a small female with babies (anybody remember the pic of the one in the spoon? That was a long time ago) and the other one of this monster in the same scenery. That'd be pretty weird looking. Take some work but I have the time. A lot of pics to dig through. Also at the park at Amistad res around Del Rio, their pamphlet says the local Scolopendra heros heros usually gets around 6 inches but can get up to 12 inches long. If the Parks dept published that, seems pretty credible. But, I still haven't seen any 12 inch heros with my own eyes. But the 9.5 incher I have gets me closer to being a believer. The fast growers may stop growing at 5 inches as far as I know. I'm just flying by the seat of my pants with this stuff:eek: !! MAN that was a long one!
Oh yea, I took some very crappy vid of the male spinning that web. I still have dialup and so never loaded it. It's so bad you can hardly tell what's going on anyway.

Last edited:

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Galapoheros...do you think I could keep the larger species in jars like that?

Do you think a 9+ inch subspinpes could live in a jar like that?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
9 inches:eek: . That's pretty big. I don't know, I just play around with them and see how they behave wherever I put them. There are a lot of facts on this site and a lot of opinions. So I experiment around and see how things go. I've seen bigger round plastic containers. I keep the monster in one of those bigger ones. She has tunnels all over the place and I can see her most of the time. I rarely see her trying to climb up towards the top. She's usually under the sub in a "U" shape hole next to the plastic like one of those sea worms in the sand I used to see in a book when I was a kid. I found those containers for less than $2.00 at the Dollar Store or some other store like it. I bought them all! They probably thought I was crazy, and I might be, hehehe.