Cellar Spider? Is it okay? It’s just clinging to my back door…

ArachEnthusiast

Arachnopeon
IMG_0346.jpeg IMG_0345.jpeg IMG_0344.jpeg IMG_0343.jpeg IMG_0342.jpeg
This guy (girl?) showed up on my door today. Cute one, eh? I post this because I think it’s a cellar spider, and, if it is, I’m worried about it. I read online that cellar spiders typically like to be in dark environments—as its name suggests. Is it on its last eight legs? 😢

ChaniLB520

Arachnosquire
Definitely a male looking for females with those "boxing glove" pedipalps! Actually looks more like a long-jawed or other orb-weaver such as genus Larinia. Cellar spiders have slightly shorter abdomens than that. Probably prefers to stay outside and will not live long.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Definitely a male looking for females with those "boxing glove" pedipalps! Actually looks more like a long-jawed or other orb-weaver such as genus Larinia. Cellar spiders have slightly shorter abdomens than that. Probably prefers to stay outside and will not live long.
I think you’re right first two pics prove it , Cellar Spiders don’t stretch out like that.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I think you’re right first two pics prove it , Cellar Spiders don’t stretch out like that.
But maybe they share similar traits with Pholcids? The male Pholcid sometimes moves into a females web since they are somewhat communal. OP, keep watching and see what he does.

As for dark environment, that's bullfeathers for pholcids. They will park and establish themselves ANYWHERE. They actually like being near light fixtures as they attract insects. But selecting a location is purely by chance. Any port in the storm rule for those folks.
1717461217260.jpeg

(All my pholcid info is entirely in situ from 20 years observation)

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
But maybe they share similar traits with Pholcids? The male Pholcid sometimes moves into a females web since they are somewhat communal. OP, keep watching and see what he does.

As for dark environment, that's bullfeathers for pholcids. They will park and establish themselves ANYWHERE. They actually like being near light fixtures as they attract insects. But selecting a location is purely by chance. Any port in the storm rule for those folks.
View attachment 474800
There very similar actually, and easy to mistake for another. I never see long-jawed or other orb-weaver anywhere here .

zsiciarz

Arachnosquire
This is a male Tetragnatha species. Within this genus it is often hard to pin down the exact species from photographs (location could help, but not always). Definitely not a Pholcidae.

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
"To Err Is Human"

Last edited:

ChaniLB520

Arachnosquire
I concur! My Pholcids show a particular appreciation for the ceiling in my shower:lol:, which has a big window and is usually very bright. I just let them hang out - they don't bother me! (usually only 1 or 2 are there at any given time)