1. Important Announcement - Upcoming Downtime - Software Upgrade

Please see here for more details.
Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Cavedweller's Basic Millipede Caresheet

Discussion in 'Myriapods' started by Cavedweller, May 21, 2014.

1. Nephila Edulis

Nephila Edulis Arachnoknight Active Member

Advertisement
    Was thinking of getting some Cooktown red legs. This was really helpful

2. 7Fin

7Fin Arachnoknight

Wait, so I shouldn't use a heat mat? My house gets pretty cold in the winter, can I use it then? I know they are dangerous if you put them at the bottom of the tank though >w>

3. Redbarren

Redbarren Arachnopeon

is spinach okay as "treats"?

4. Ruvaaa

Ruvaaa Arachnopeon

I NEED HELP!!!!! I ACCIDENTALLY DROPPED MY MILLIPEDE!!!!! SHE WAS ON MY HAND AND I WAS OUTSIDE AND SHE FELL OFF ONTO THE CEMENT SHE STARTED LEAKING FLUID FROM THE TOP PART OF HER TAIL AND ALSO HER HEAD HAS A LITTLE FLUID COMING ON TOP AS WELL NOT ALL JUST A TINY BIT! I'M FREAKING OUT IT'S MY FIRST TIME OWNING A MILLIPEDE AND I'M FRANTIC! IS SHE GOING TO BE OKAY? WHAT DOES THE FLUID MEAN. I'VE TRIED LOOKING IT UP BUT NOT A LOT OF INFO POPS UP. HELP PLEASEEE.!!!!!

5. Thanks for the care sheet it helped keep millipedes alive one died because of Eucalyptus leaves in the terrarium it saved the other one.

6. Maybe try to stop up the wound with something.

7. maxpede

maxpede Arachnopeon

Straight to point
    Short sweet and do the point. Awesome

• Like Like x 2
  8. Luc

Luc Arachnopeon

Wait, heat lamps and pads are dangerous? Is there any other way to keep my millipedes warm? Because our room temp is 18*C!

9. anders2001

anders2001 Arachnopeon

headmats are okay. but place them on the side of the tank. Not under the tank. Millipedes start digging when its to hot. If the heat mat is under the ground they will stay digging while its to hot.

I got a question as well. Why do you recommend feeding only once a week with treats? I do it daily and it seems to work.

10. anders2001

anders2001 Arachnopeon

? bump

11. Elytra and Antenna

Elytra and Antenna Arachnoking Old Timer

USA
    I think I can field these questions since they relate to husbandry suggestions in https://www.amazon.com/Millipeds-Captivity-Diplopodan-Husbandry-Reproductive/dp/1616461438

1. Heat mats and lights normally cause point of contact or pinpoint heat radiation resulting in moisture stratification that can harm or kill adults of most species over time and immatures quickly. Use a space heater and pay attention to the placement (height and proximity to vents or cold walls) if your home is 18C/64F. Consider getting a thermometer. There are many different temperatures in a structure that is "18C."

2. Feeding daily will result in mite and other pest problems unless you are fully removing uneaten food every day.

12. Bob Lee

Bob Lee Arachnobaron Active Member

This is a sticky, no point in bumping it :rolleyes:...

13. A good care sheet but my only complaint is the coconut Fibre. I would never recommend anyone to use it if they enjoy their millipedes being alive. Coconut fibre in my personal experience kills millipedes. I hate the stuff. Especially never keep baby millipedes on it either.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.