Cats and Ts

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Keep the cages securely locked and put up high, or in a cabinet. Cats, when they want something, will almost always get to it. I have three sneaky little girls, and they love to try and get into my T shelf.

NatalieMK

Arachnopeon
wE HAVE FOUR CAGES THAT SNAP INTO PLACE. ONLY THING IS THE TOP OF TWO OF THEM IS A SCREEN SO WE PUT OBJECTS ON THERE SO HE DOESNT BRAKE THE SCREEN OPEN.. MY HUSBAND LOCKS THE CAT UP ON A LEASH, I DO NOT THINK THAT IS VERY HUMAINE

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Get a cage that snaps into place and you need aposibal thumbs to open.

This is great advice, but put it up high or somewhere the cat can't get on top of it. The one time that one of our cats messed with a T was when my B. smithi was on a low shelf and managed to catch the cat's eye. I caught the cat on top of the enclosure, violently rocking it from side to side. Luckily it had the latches on the side and everything stayed inside, but it still gave me a slight heart attack. The T was fine and now it is on a shelf that the cats cannot get to.

Lolita

Arachnoknight
is there anyway you have a spare bedroom or any room in general that can be the cats off limits room and just keep them out of sight out of mind sort of?

Madratter

Arachnopeon
My cats are more interested in the roaches and crickets than my Ts but I still keep them in an area the cats do not have access to.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
also, i have found it is generally the feeders in a tarantula cage that attract a cat. oh sure, every once in a while a tarantula will move enough to attract a cat but usually the skedaddle into hiding at the first sign of trouble... no generally so with the roaches and crickets

oh, and noisy feeder tanks definitely attract cats. mine stares at my closet door when my roach colony gets to rustling around

Robineng

Arachnopeon
My cats completely ignore my spiders, but still keep them in secure enclosures that the cats can't move or get open.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My cats aren't the least bit interested in my t's, they never pay any attention to them. I think because they never move....

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I only found my cat ones watching one of my large Xenesthis walking across the floor (escaped out her enclosure)
I was more scared for my cat then spider, tell you the truth
just keep everyone separate and secure, should not be a problem
also long time ago one of my old cats use to hang out and take a knap on top of the screened tank
I warned him he may end up with fang in his ass one of them days ;P

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Caitlin the office cat can lay on the shelf and not even blink at the Ts... the only problem is she accidentally knocked a T cage off once. No harm done, the spider was a burrower... but she doesn't seem to care about them at all (and no, I don't use flea products on the cat). Stinkerbelle, the other office cat, will sit and watch me feed, handle, and just yawns. Depends on the cat.

Now, my home cats, no way...

Marga