catching trapdoor spiders

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok I was reading in the book " tarantulas and other arachnids" it says that trapdoor spiders can be found as far north as new york. is this true and if so does anyone know where to look for them. I live in KY and if there around I'd love to catch a few

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They're here in Virginia, but finding them is annother story! I once found a mature male wandering, and I have a female that was found by accidently by a lady working in her garden. It's great working in a nature center, I end up with all sorts of interesting things people find.

Wade

Neo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yep

Well I've heard from a friend's friend's friend that the males are much easier to find because they sometimes come out of their burrows and wonder either for mating or something, or a butty call. Anyways, females are harder and their tunnels I've heard are many feet deep, so digging one up is hard. Well get some crickets and tie it to a string and let it run around the ground where u think they live. Or....u can just go buy one.... They aren't very visible, since they stay underground in wait for prey instead of venturing to find on their own. However, just hope one digs its burrow on the side glass tank where u can see it in its burrow.

I live in CA. Never saw one.....

ECO

Arachnopeon
Trapdoor spiders

Yep. they're not just a southern thing. I have several C. truncata that I found last year. To be honest, I've looked for a LONG time without any luck, then I saw one after a heavy rain by the side of the road while I was jogging....didn't get that one, but now, after heavy or prolonged rains in the late summer & fall, I can usually find them crawling around looking for a dry spot. Here in Tennessee we have several species, but so far I've only managed to locate 2 of the species, although I did find both male & female spiders. ECO