Cat question - URGENT

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
GRAPHIC WARNING!

One of our two cats produced a series of bloody stools consisting of mucus tinged with blood and near liquid diarrhea several times over a 12 hour period.

Checking both cats they are acting healthy and playful with no signs of stress or distress. Temperatures normal. Palpating their abdomens they are both normal without any 'doughy-ness' or tympany noted and no discomfort to the palpations.

What's going on?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Vomiting? I don't know.. a sterilized, 10 years female of mine years ago had similar, somewhat, symptoms and was a light form of Pancreatitis.

horanjp

Arachnosquire
GI disease or parasites could be likely culprits. Does your cat go outside? Pancreatitis usually presents as a lethargic, vomiting, not eating kitty- not typically accompanied by bloody stoolies. What kind of diet do you have them on? Also, the age (and breed, if anything but a domestic short hair) would help narrow things down a bit. Bring in a stool sample of this wretch to your vet to be tested for parasites, and ask for some pro-biotics that they would recommend. Next would be a blood test, perhaps (after a negative fecal culture) to rule out GI disease. We send our samples to Texas A&M at our facility.

The Snark

Old Timer
Both cats, 2 yrs old. Inside only cats. One cat was vomiting 2 days ago. Unsure which one. Both healthy slim weight. Had them on canned food, offal. Put them on dry food only after the vomiting. I'm starting to suspect quality control in that commercial canned food. IE grind up everything and sweep the floor into the mess.

They are both still acting completely normal. Drinking water regularly. Neither is too keen on the dry food but are still eating. Temperature and palpations still normal.

UPDATE!! One just had a stool. Part brown diarrhea, part a livid dark green color. I mean GREEN green. WTF??? Rapid colonic passage and bilirubin now suspect. Words of wisdom desperately sought. I'm guessing in the dark. I'm into human trauma intervention. Feline diagnosis and therapy is the dark side of my moon.

Last edited:

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pretty sure they don't have things like that for cats where he lives.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

The Snark

Old Timer
No more stools. She's kicked back, napping, drinks water, acts fine.

Only one real vet nearby and he won't be back for 2 days. Taking her in there now will just get her put on NS/D5W and observation until he comes back. Fingers crossed.

I'm almost certain it was that canned crud food.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Intestinal parasites, especially whipworms, can cause all of the symptoms you described, as can Coccidiosis and Giardia, and I will bet on all three being very common where you live, Snark. An adult cat will usually be able to "throw off" the latter two, but intestinal worms will stay, and produce "hit or miss" symptoms, where the animal seeks OK for a while, then has the bloody, mucousy stools you described. I've never dealt with whipworms in a cat, just dogs, and the symptoms are the same. For dogs, I use Panacur, but I don't know if it's safe to use on cats or if you can get it where you live, since it is generally used as a livestock wormer.

The Snark

Old Timer
Off to have tests done tomorrow with stool samples then. A peace of mind thing. On a typical 'welcome to the backwaters' note: parasite check in stool for humans, $8. For animals, $20. (I write the lab requests myself at the people hospital)

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Hope the tests go well and its just something easily treated.. Keep us updated.

horanjp

Arachnosquire
Both cats, 2 yrs old. Inside only cats. One cat was vomiting 2 days ago. Unsure which one. Both healthy slim weight. Had them on canned food, offal. Put them on dry food only after the vomiting. I'm starting to suspect quality control in that commercial canned food. IE grind up everything and sweep the floor into the mess.

They are both still acting completely normal. Drinking water regularly. Neither is too keen on the dry food but are still eating. Temperature and palpations still normal.

UPDATE!! One just had a stool. Part brown diarrhea, part a livid dark green color. I mean GREEN green. WTF??? Rapid colonic passage and bilirubin now suspect. Words of wisdom desperately sought. I'm guessing in the dark. I'm into human trauma intervention. Feline diagnosis and therapy is the dark side of my moon.
Thought more about it- there is a longggggg list of plants that are poisonous to cats, as you may know. See any nibbles on any exotic greenery around the house?

The Snark

Old Timer
Thought more about it- there is a longggggg list of plants that are poisonous to cats, as you may know. See any nibbles on any exotic greenery around the house?
Gnarly will eat, or at least sample, almost anything. From raiding the litter box for a midnight snack to the foam rubber disemboweled from the sofa. But she's an inside cat and no odd plants available.

The Snark

Old Timer
Update. All tests have come back negative. The vet concurs with my suspicion: the commercial canned cat food probably contained foreign inedible materials. He also mentioned name brand cat foods are probably no different as the source of the materials is usually from the same supplier.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Update. All tests have come back negative. The vet concurs with my suspicion: the commercial canned cat food probably contained foreign inedible materials. He also mentioned name brand cat foods are probably no different as the source of the materials is usually from the same supplier.
Curiosity. Think that the humid food (fish based i mean) i give to my cats is "produced in Thailand" by some EU corporations.. and not even cheap but they love that.

Last edited:

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Obviously Snark, What you need to do, is cook some sugar, Spill it upon the floor, Let the ants come to devour, Let the geckos come for the ants, and feet the cats with the stuck geckos. You could produce an entirely self sufficient cat food chain. Well, Maybe not self sufficient, but they'd be amused for a short while

Sickgirlstatt2

Arachnopeon
Most likely even though they are inside cats, they have intestinal worms, worms can be tansmitted by fleas, and fleas can be carried in on your pants, shoes etc. Fortunaltley they now make dewormer that you can get from your vets office that is applied like a flea drop on their necks.

The Snark

Old Timer
Most likely even though they are inside cats, they have intestinal worms, worms can be tansmitted by fleas, and fleas can be carried in on your pants, shoes etc. Fortunaltley they now make dewormer that you can get from your vets office that is applied like a flea drop on their necks.
Thanks! Both cats have been thoroughly vetted now and are parasite free. We have to use that horrible chemical on them both regularly, but as sparingly as possible. It's not just fleas here but also a vast assortment of mites and numerous animals not yet properly described. What I am calling rain forest invasives. One particular group-genus-species of mites appear to be wind transmitted and will happily take human legs off at the knees along with infesting the cats. Along with other mites like grain mites they wash down off the roof onto the upstairs porch where the cats enjoy roaming. Using the cats as bait traps and critter killers is the alternative to wholesale insecticide spraying which is a real and present danger to me with my chemical hypersensitivities.

Last edited: