Cat Litter as peat.

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have an Aphonopelma Pallidum, and i heard on Yahoo Answers that a guy had a B. Smithi on cat litter for 6 years. I didn't have any peat at the time i got the T, so i just used cat litter. my t. doesn't seem to mind it, but i've only had him for a week. Can i have opinions, please?

PS:If you recognize me from the "Help!" thread, i just thought i should start a new thread specifically for it.

Natemass

Arachnolord
Old Timer
id take it off cat litter the risk of it have chemicals on it is very high. why would you want to if you dont have peat go to petco buy eco earth or something if no petco go outside and dig a hole most likely 100% better than cat litter.

Arachno~Raver

Arachnopeon
id take it off cat litter the risk of it have chemicals on it is very high. why would you want to if you dont have peat go to petco buy eco earth or something if no petco go outside and dig a hole most likely 100% better than cat litter.
i agree change the substrate i have my b. smithi on a mixture of eco earth vermiculite and calci sand which is an ediball sand that help bone growth (not that he eats it enyway:D ) and it seems quite a good mixture he bulldoses it arround and i got it all from a local garden centre/pet shop

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
depending on which cat litter you use, it can clogg up the booklungs, thus kill your t. plus, most aphonopelma like to dig a bit, and in cat litter, they can't. i'd say, change it asap to a mixture of peat and potting soil, with a bit of sand maybe. you can dry the mixture in the oven, most aphonopelma don't really like moist substrate.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just put it on peat moss or eco earth. Both are cheap and will at least be able to absorb some water. I cannot imagine why someone would put a B. smithi on cat litter especially when its either steeped in chemicals to kill the smell of the urine or basically clay, which will adhere to anything moist including your T's mouth and book lungs. Just go for the traditional approach and put it on some normal substrate. ;)

SouthernStyle

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Cat Litter is Just Bad JuJu! Definatly head towards the Eco Earth Section...All of My T's and Pedes are on a 50/50 Mix of Peat and Eco Earth...Cheap and inexpensive...It also Works REALLY well for the burrowers!

Johnny_27

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have one good reason why you should change it...

Cat litter is made for cats to CRAP ON!

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks a lot, guys. i guess that guy on yahoo must have some kind of speacial cat litter, or something. I'll defenately change asap. And thanks, a lot, johnny, for ur comment... :p

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
cat litter?

Dont use cat litter, its a drying agent, and will desiccate the Ts enclosure, and think of the poor T trying to walk thru it.. The yahoo answers guy doesnt know what hes talking about. Come here for answers

Johnny_27

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks a lot, guys. i guess that guy on yahoo must have some kind of speacial cat litter, or something. I'll defenately change asap. And thanks, a lot, johnny, for ur comment... :p
I do what I can:D Where in FLA you at? I dont have enough tarantula keeping friends. Its pretty much just me, beetleman, and Linda Landsman in my area.

Seen1980

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I may be way off base between the people and Tarantula's and all, but it's unhealthy for a woman expecting a child to change the litter box because of the chemicals in litter causes I forget the name.
What, johnny? What about the great outdoors where birds, cats, dogs, and all sorts of forms of life does their bussiness. What about when people go camping?

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What, johnny? What about the great outdoors where birds, cats, dogs, and all sorts of forms of life does their bussiness. What about when people go camping?
that's different, becase people don't have to change it. it just goes away by itself... usually. lol. this has turned into a wierd conversation, huh?{D

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I may be way off base between the people and Tarantula's and all, but it's unhealthy for a woman expecting a child to change the litter box because of the chemicals in litter causes I forget the name.
What are you talking about? Are you somehow comparing peeing on a tree to housing a living animal on silica and clay? I am failing to see the point you are making.

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
As far as I know.. the pregnant woman thing has NOTHING to do with the chemicals in the cat litter.
and EVERYTHING to do with an organism called Toxoplasmosis
http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/infections/parasitic/toxoplasmosis.html

and NOW back to our regularly scheduled thread..

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Can't we just leave this thread at its a friggin stupid thing to do and call it a day...

Seen1980

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It sounds like that it's more the chemical concern from what's in the litter, which is what causes this disease that is harmful to unborn babies.

For the animal, you are placing into the tank, for all purposes it is the great outdoors. You are simulating as best as possible the natural enviroment. The point is I was pointing out is that the Tarantula will do its bussiness on whatever is under it regardless what it is. No differently than when you go camping (A camp ground with an restroom isn't really any different than sleeping in the back yard. Ok minus your home effects that's it). My point is chemicals aside; it seems like the wrong substrate. Then again, the Hobo Spider is native to Europe and does well in parts of North America barring weather conditions and possible predators. Such as Brown Recluses do not do well in the area I live because Celler Spiders and another one are common here, and they both hunt Brown Recluses. Though it wouldn't surprise me if there's a type around here, I saw a Recluse in Ontario off Georgian Bay but was Gray.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It sounds like that it's more the chemical concern from what's in the litter, which is what causes this disease that is harmful to unborn babies.

For the animal, you are placing into the tank, for all purposes it is the great outdoors. You are simulating as best as possible the natural enviroment. The point is I was pointing out is that the Tarantula will do its bussiness on whatever is under it regardless what it is. No differently than when you go camping (A camp ground with an restroom isn't really any different than sleeping in the back yard. Ok minus your home effects that's it). My point is chemicals aside; it seems like the wrong substrate. Then again, the Hobo Spider is native to Europe and does well in parts of North America barring weather conditions and possible predators. Such as Brown Recluses do not do well in the area I live because Celler Spiders and another one are common here, and they both hunt Brown Recluses. Though it wouldn't surprise me if there's a type around here, I saw a Recluse in Ontario off Georgian Bay but was Gray.
It's not a chemical in the litter, its a living Plasm in the cats urine called Toxoplasmosis thats harmful to pregnant women. and I still do not see the point you are trying to make. I am however leaving this thread.....

Lady_Bug27

Arachnopeon
I do what I can:D Where in FLA you at? I dont have enough tarantula keeping friends. Its pretty much just me, beetleman, and Linda Landsman in my area.
HEY! THANKS ALOLT JOHN >:| :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: