Cat induced handling

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

Centruroides sculpturatus are always crawling around my house, but, this time, my cat was getting too close for comfort. I got in between the two, and one thing led to another...

Little things like this make me love living in Arizona. I hadn't planned on ending my day handling Buthids, even if they are mildly venomous. Now he's with my female, who I've never managed to breed to any of the males I find around the house.

It's obviously not a good idea to handle this species. So you know, don't do it. Live vicariously through me.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Anubis....You. Are. Crazy!!!!!!!!!!!! That's from one Arizonian to another!

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'll be looking for future sting reports from you... from one person who has them in the house to another... don't get cocky, you will get stung.

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Anubis....You. Are. Crazy!!!!!!!!!!!! That's from one Arizonian to another!
Maybe just a bit. This was a first, excluding a few scorplings back when I was breeding this species. I managed to avoid getting into direct contact with adults of this species for almost 6 years, but, this time, my cat was too fascinated for me to have time to get a catch cup.

I guess I could have picked up my cat and taken him with me to find a container... but that's far too logical for my tastes.

I'll be looking for future sting reports from you... from one person who has them in the house to another... don't get cocky, you will get stung.
Yeah, more than likely. I've come close to stepping on them a few times. I'd wager handling poses less risk for me than just walking around the house with the lights off. I accepted the risk a long time ago, and I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.

snappleWhiteTea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've tailed them before, but never free handled. I hate this sp. though, some people have them all around their house and I have only found like 5 , yet i have found 100's of H.arizonensis. :(