Carnivorous katydids

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
I am looking into carnivorous katydids, like the greater and lesser arid land katydids, or the exotic ones. Any information for there care and where would one be able to get there eggs or nymphs? As I have taken care of mantids and that I see these katydids as some sort of mantis like thing (as in diet and whatnot).

basin79

ArachnoGod
I am looking into carnivorous katydids, like the greater and lesser arid land katydids, or the exotic ones. Any information for there care and where would one be able to get there eggs or nymphs? As I have taken care of mantids and that I see these katydids as some sort of mantis like thing (as in diet and whatnot).
Been looking for these myself as they do look phenomenal. I've never seen any (although I'm in the UK).

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The native species are offered very seasonally here on the boards. I don't think anyone has hashed out the full care yet, but once they do I'm assuming availability will skyrocket.

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
I was looking at some of them and there care and the only thing would be on how would they deposit there eggs. Otherwise, they seem as or almost legal as mantids (due to there carnivorous appetite) and this is within the costa rican rhino katydids. The natives seem good too. Do they bite a crap load?

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'd give them a cup of moist sand or cocofiber and see what happens. I'd assume any tropical species would still be illegal because they're Orthoptera, but I agree, if it's an exclusively predaceous species then there should be some sort of special case (ah how we can dream, right?). From what I've seen, Neobarettia are hellish biters, so definitely not recommended for handling. Can't really say on the other species.

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
Technically true for just about any insect species (exotic), conehead katydids and the ones I'm mentioning are all predators, just like mantids, certain ground beetles, and some other insects and velvet worms? Then again Trump did gag the USDA, EPA, and a lot of other agencies.