Carles' first breeding project questions.

Androctonus_bic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi;
I know the biologycal side of the reproduction in pedes (Or it I think..:confused: ). Now, I'm going to try my first intencionated breeding between two S. subspinipes dehanni. One from Malasya ( red legs) and the other one from Vietnam, Mau chau region ( yellow leggs).

My question is simple; How do you do it?

I just, only know some of your tricks. Terrarium dimensions, time it need to be togheter...

I don't know the genders of the pedes so... what do you recomend to me?

Cheers
Carles

P.D: Sorry for my bad english xpresion.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi;
I know the biologycal side of the reproduction in pedes (Or it I think..:confused: ). Now, I'm going to try my first intencionated breeding between two S. subspinipes dehanni. One from Malasya ( red legs) and the other one from Vietnam, Mau chau region ( yellow leggs).

My question is simple; How do you do it?

I just, only know some of your tricks. Terrarium dimensions, time it need to be togheter...

I don't know the genders of the pedes so... what do you recomend to me?

Cheers
Carles

P.D: Sorry for my bad english xpresion.
howdy

ok, i actually use two cages in addition to the centipedes' normal cages. the first cage is my "date cage". this has a half inch/ 1cm of substrate and that is it. i use this plain cage to introduce the centipedes and "sex them". basically, centipedes of the same sex do not want to fight each other to the death and would much rather just run away and find some nice grillo to play with. we can use this predisposition to run away to let to centipedes meet in the plain, empty cage. centipedes of the same sex will pretty much always run away from each other when they meet

of course, centipedes of different sexes will run away from each other sometimes, too! i believe the male needs to approach the female from behind to "sniff" her properly. if a male and female meet each other head to head then they might run away from each other.

typically i have not seen too many centipedes act SUPER aggressively towards each other in the date cage. to date, out of about 20 dates i have supervised only one centipede has actually gotten bitten. i have never tried to breed subspinipes, though.

anyways... after you have had your centipedes go on a date and it looks like they might be male and female you need to make the mating cage. male centipedes actually spin a sperm web that the use in the sperm tranfer to the female. this sperm web needs to be anchored between two objects. it seems like the objects have always had a horizontally oriented gap between them, and it is in this gap that the male spins his web. i left a couple pairs of pedes together for less than a day a year or 1.5 years ago. recently i left two pairs of Egyptian Emerald centipedes together for almost a month. at the end of the month i still had 4 live pedes :D

look up steven and vincent posts for more information

look up galapoheros posts, he has a video of a male spinning a sperm web!

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It would be nice if we could make a centipede breeding section... i'd love to try my E.Trigonopodus together this summer and it would be nice if the breeding tips and infos would be kept...

Thanks for the infos, Caco :). I really like your ''extra two containers'' method!!!! Just a question, though, how do you set up your mating cage? Is it very large with tons of hiding spots? Should we expect to leave the centipedes together for an extended period of time? Do you feed while the pedes are in it?

phil.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
how do you set up your mating cage? Is it very large with tons of hiding spots?
i think i have pics i will try to post. but basically it was a very low level of sub (or none at all, in one, i think) with lots of "plates" of compacted coconut husk and/or cork bark unevenly stacked around the cage. i also actually put the centipedes' small regular containers in the breeding container. there was 5-10 discrete hiding locations in each of the breeding bins.

Should we expect to leave the centipedes together for an extended period of time?
that's up to you. i left mine for almost a month, but i believe galapoheros actually saw mating within hours of cohabitating his S. heros. you have to imagine the odds of sperm exchange go up as time increases... but so do the odds of a fatality.

Do you feed while the pedes are in it?
totally! the last thing i wanted was for one to make a snack out of the other. plus, i figure the more food mama has in her, the more viables she can produce :)