caribena versicolor

Anubis2

Arachnosquire
Oh my you do have a moody one. You don't try handling it do you?

It's not out of the norm for any T to become defensive, no matter how docile a genus and species is overall.

I have plans on buying at least 5 or more T's. The ones I want are spicier in temperament. However everytime I plan on making purchases I have other financial obligations that pop up. Like just paying off my car last weekend.

Then there's the matter on space. Sure slings take up no room. I'm looking at the bigger picture like when they are adults with larger enclosures and where to keep them, it's an issue.

There is also the issue that I do not have a bath tub or confined area to rehouse Fiesty tarantulas.

Oh the dilemas
I have held them a few times but only because they have seen the open enclosure and thought “let’s go on an adventure!” So it wasn’t voluntary. And the threat posture wasn’t very threatening if that makes sense. More like startled at the worm touching them.
the issue with space is the reason I haven’t gotten more yet either. Really need to clean out my back room so I can set it all up

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I have held them a few times but only because they have seen the open enclosure and thought “let’s go on an adventure!” So it wasn’t voluntary. And the threat posture wasn’t very threatening if that makes sense. More like startled at the worm touching them.
the issue with space is the reason I haven’t gotten more yet either. Really need to clean out my back room so I can set it all up
Yeah I understand that, sometimes you have no choice. I've been fortunate in that I never had a T bolt out of it's enclosure up my arm or anywhere else yet. Or where there was no time to grab a catch cup.

Anubis2

Arachnosquire
Yeah I understand that, sometimes you have no choice. I've been fortunate in that I never had a T bolt out of it's enclosure up my arm or anywhere else yet. Or where there was no time to grab a catch cup.
Oh she bolted out of her enclosure and I caught her thankfully! Then made the mistake of signing in relief too close to her. She bolted up my arm so fast I think my soul left my body!

fatich

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It looks leggy, that made me think its a male. If its a mature male it wont eat that much. It will mostly stroll around.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Oh she bolted out of her enclosure and I caught her thankfully! Then made the mistake of signing in relief too close to her. She bolted up my arm so fast I think my soul left my body!
They are fast little boogers when they bolt. The rehouses I done with mine went smooth luckily. I'd kill myself if my versi or any of my T's got injured by accident.

All I've done was plan on what direction they are going to go, hold the catch cup at that location then use the paintbrush to start the race.

So far.....knock on wood....it's worked. There was one time it shot about 10 to 11 inches from enclosure into the catch cup. I was impressed with the speed as my eyes didn't even register the movement. These versicolors are not even considered super fast either. Gives me respect for the ones that are and the keepers who rehouse them.

I love my versi it's one of the most docile T's I have and most colorful.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes, they do.

Yeah, I used to think the same but apparently they're actually able to kick them. There's a paper on it somewhere IIRC, I'll see if I can find it.
If you find it, let me know. I thought the info I read came from a peer reviewed paper too, it maybe not, or outdated it seems!

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I guess I'm going to say it. That's not a she, it's a full grown male. Caribena versicolor is one of those species that barely has any visible hooks. I would say that they probably don't have hooks at all, but their leg setae is quite fluffy and gets in the way so I can't recall on that matter. Either way, with leggy legs like that, I'd say it's a mature male.

Just to be sure, I'd recommend checking the pedipalps for the emboli that all mature males have.

Gutz323

Arachnopeon
Yes, they do.

Yeah, I used to think the same but apparently they're actually able to kick them. There's a paper on it somewhere IIRC, I'll see if I can find it.
That's interesting to know. I am new to the hobby and thought i have read that the C. Versicolor was not a hair flicker, (I am obviously mistaken). Is there some Avics that don't flick hair, and only transfer hairs through physical touch? Or can they all flick urticating hairs?

Last edited:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
That's interesting to know. I am knew to the hobby and thought i have read that the C. Versicolor was not a hair flicker, (I am obviously mistaken). Is there some Avics that don't flick hair, and only transfer hairs through physical touch? Or can they all flick urticating hairs?
As far as I'm aware C. versicolor are the only species in the Aviculariinae subfamily that can kick hairs, everything else has to physically rub them into an attacker.

Anubis2

Arachnosquire
So I’ve had my caribena versicolor for less than 2 years now (could be wrong I’m horrid with time) and I would say they’re juvenile now. So I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I’m not sure if they’re (not sure if male/female yet) just not hungry or doesn’t like mealworms anymore. But they have refused to eat for weeks now. They keep moving around and doing tarantula things, but every time I try to feed them they either run away or flick hairs at me. I know the older a T gets the less they eat so I was wondering if that’s the case or just doesn’t like the food I’m feeding anymore.
Well sad to say there are little Red Bulbs on the palms 😭

Well sad to say there are little Red Bulbs on the palms 😭
Palps