Care tips for a Eratigena Atrica

arachnophobespiderkeeper

Arachnosquire
So I made another post, asking for help about an injured "wolf spider" I caught. A nice member of the forum informed me it was not a wolf spider, and likely something else with some suggestions to what it could be. I looked at the suggestions and am quite sure its an Eratigena Atrica, or a giant house spider. They are PRETTY dang giant. Anyways, the current enclosure I have is possibly temporary. it has a little dirt at the bottom, maybe half an inch to an inch, some anchor points for a web, a water source, and a hide. Is this enough? how big should a habitat be for one of these spiders? Do they need burrowing room? I could likely get a large mason jar for them to hide in but if anybody could give any suggestions on somewhat cheap containers to use, what to feed them and how often, thatd be greatly appreciated! keeping spiders has helped my arachnophobia a lot, and I think this lil guy could help me with it!:embarrassed:

here is a pic of him by the way, he's by his water source and a dead ant he was likely inspecting. No, I didn't feed it to him. It was just in the dirt when I got it and already dead.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I kept mine in 32 oz deli cups with a few web points and a little substrate at the bottom. I think yours will be very happy with its current setup!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
how big should a habitat be for one of these spiders? Do they need burrowing room? I could likely get a large mason jar for them to hide in but if anybody could give any suggestions on somewhat cheap containers to use, what to feed them and how often, thatd be greatly appreciated!
Like tarantulas, giant house spiders don't need much space. These spiders are web dwellers, not burrowers, so you don't need much if any sub. (I sometimes add a thin layer just for aesthetic reasons.)

I have successfully kept web-dwelling true spiders in large pickle jars and Kritter Keepers. (Eratigena atrica gets bigger than most of the true spiders I keep, so you may want to go with the Kritter Keeper over a jar. It also has better ventilation.)

I don't feed my true spiders on a set schedule. I periodically dribble water onto their webs and check on the spiders to see if they look hungry. (In time, you will learn to gauge the plumpness of the abdomen. A fat abdomen means it doesn't need to be fed right now.)

Any of the common feeder insects will work: crickets, mealworms, or small roaches, for example. Try to offer prey that is about the size of the spider's abdomen. (They can often take down larger meals, but they don't need that much food, and a large insect may pose more of a threat.) Since it's a wild-caught spider, you might also use wild-caught moths or crane flies. (I used wild-caught prey when I only had wild-caught spiders, but now I just give them feeders from my tarantula supplies.)

If you use mealworms, crush their heads before feeding. This doesn't kill the mealworm -- it continues to wriggle until it dies of thirst or starvation -- but it prevents the mealworm from injuring your spider with its powerful mandibles (jaws). If you have substrate, it also prevents the mealworm from burrowing away from your spider and later maturing into a beetle.

Last edited:

arachnophobespiderkeeper

Arachnosquire
Like tarantulas, giant house spiders don't need much space. These spiders are web dwellers, not burrowers, so you don't need much if any sub. (I sometimes add a thin layer just for aesthetic reasons.)

I have successfully kept web-dwelling true spiders in large pickle jars and Kritter Keepers. (Eratigena atrica gets bigger than most of the true spiders I keep, so you may want to go with the Kritter Keeper over a jar. It also has better ventilation.)

I don't feed my true spiders on a set schedule. I periodically dribble water onto their webs and check on the spiders to see if they look hungry. (In time, you will learn to gauge the plumpness of the abdomen. A fat abdomen means it doesn't need to be fed right now.)

Any of the common feeder insects will work: crickets, mealworms, or small roaches, for example. Try to offer prey that is about the size of the spider's abdomen. (They can often take down larger meals, but they don't need that much food, and a large insect may pose more of a threat.) Since it's a wild-caught spider, you might also use wild-caught moths or crane flies. (I used wild-caught prey when I only had wild-caught spiders, but now I just give them feeders from my tarantula supplies.)

If you use mealworms, crush their heads before feeding. This doesn't kill the mealworm -- it continues to wriggle until it dies of thirst or starvation -- but it prevents the mealworm from injuring your spider with its powerful mandibles (jaws). If you have substrate, it also prevents the mealworm from burrowing away from your spider and later maturing into a beetle.
Thank you very much for all the info! sorry I couldn't reply sooner, I find it hard to read block text. I def should look into a kritter keeper since his current container doesn't have very good ventilation at all. It was made as a temp setup. Do you have any suggestions where to buy one quickly? Cause honestly I cant even poke holes in his current one (not allowed, using a pretty damn expensive container pft) so I mostly open it and keep an eye on him to allow him to breath. I feel bad about it, but I dont plan on keeping him in this container long enough that I feel it'd affect him. especially since I am ALWAYS opening it and watching him. But still, quicker I can move to a Kritter Keeper the better.

UkArachnidKeeper

Arachnopeon

hello would 21.8 x 14.3 x 15 cm be big enough for a giant house spider

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
i finally got one i thnk its the same one i brought in when she was a really small sling a few months ago. she in a small enclosure for now. with the materials i found her in and see many of her kind in. HEDGES so yeh i think shell be okay im really excited for the future
I use a large coffe jar
AD8970BE-08B1-4B92-9C50-6664A96922E1.jpeg

dandan

Arachnopeon
Hi

Could I keep one of these in my Paludarium?
I was thinking the high humidity maybe a problem?

Thanks