Captive vs Wild Caught

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is there a difference in AGB millipedes temperment for wild and captive ones? I bought two from petco and one of them curls up in a ball whenever it is touched and poops on me every time i touch it or try to hold it. It is missing several legs. I believe it might be wild caught. The other one i believe is a female. She has not curled on me or pooped on me. She is a sweety-pie. I wonder if she has been captive bred and is therefore more docile or is it because she is a female?

thedreadedone

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i think that differences in behaviour are due to individual differences - not due to sex or WC/CB.
did you buy both of yours at the same time from the shop? if they were bought at the same time, i'd imagine that they had the same origins - either WC or CB

Gsc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
All AGB's from petco's (and almost any other petstore) are Wild Caught... only a few hobbyists are working on breeding them... captive bred ones are only rarely offered...even then, most people don't buy them because of the smaller (baby) size...they want the adult BIG millis.

I'm under the belief that although I wanna say my inverts don't really Tame down...captive breds are more less just like wildcaughts when in comes to "personalities"....

Some are just more prone to curl up when you grab them...

Just my opinion..

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
I agree. Some poop, some don't. It doesn't matter where they came from. I do think babies tend to poo more than adults.

Crunchie

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The best advantage of captive bred millipedes is that they are less shy about coming out during the day. I've noticed this with my young red legs :) I'd always try and buy captive bred millipedes when I can its just that most folk dont consider them worth breeding. :(

thedreadedone

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Crunchie said:
The best advantage of captive bred millipedes is that they are less shy about coming out during the day. I've noticed this with my young red legs :) I'd always try and buy captive bred millipedes when I can its just that most folk dont consider them worth breeding. :(

cept you n me ! :)

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If conditions are good and you have both sexes, AGB will breed and lay eggs without any effort. There is no effort involved on the part of the keeper in breeding although it may be sesonal.

Failure to breed them by keepers is usually the result of a failure to understand their husbandry requirements in the first place.

Wade

Gsc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I too try to buy CB whenever possible. I have a group of 10 AGB milli's in a breeding set-up... I'm hoping that I'll be able to produce and offer CB AGB millis for sale one day. They are cool animals...

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah i bought them at the same time. I was wondering more because the pooper is missing a ton of legs and the nice one has all her legs. I hope they make some babies. I love them, well the nice one at least, but the pooper has its own charm. I checked them for mites as soon as i could and found none, although that gives me no reason to think i will never have them.