Captive born or Wild caught?

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
CB mostly because its politically correct to say so lol but less chance of having pets you didnt want like mites and other parasites. also you wouldnt be taking them from the wild. not that they are endangered or anything of the sort lol

JSN

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
cb is ideally better becuase then your not making huge dents in the wild populations, and your sometimes your making more rare species become more easily attainable...

Scorpfanatic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
actually also to knmow how old the speciment are :) so as not to get WC speciment. also dieases that many be carreied from WC adults that r mated hence there also captive raised and cative breed.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
not that they are endangered or anything of the sort lol
I thought that emps were CITES-listed (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora)?

actually also to knmow how old the speciment are :)
I agree! CB gives you greater chances at having a full lifespan, instead of your awesome new adult dying a month after you spent a lot of money on it. (Case in point: my late H. laoticus :()

As sort of a middle-ground thought, some WC adult female species may be gravid, allowing a WC-jumpstart on captive breeding. (Other case in point: my huge female H. longimanus :D)

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I thought that emps were CITES-listed (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora)?

Although they are CITES listed, they can still be exported in limited quantities... I'm not sure what constitutes limited quantity though, seeing how there are a lot of adult WC emps on the market still

slimtim454

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
As sort of a middle-ground thought, some WC adult female species may be gravid, allowing a WC-jumpstart on captive breeding. (Other case in point: my huge female H. longimanus :D)
I'm sure these are few and far between but its deff. something to think about.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, I'm still crossing my fingers for a breeding population of H. longimanus -- someone who got one at the same show said they're subspecies borneensis, and she is absolutely HUGE