cant red knees hiss?

Spider-Man v2.0

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i know some ts can, but i was wondering if red knees can..
i was peting her, and for the first 3 strokes she freaked out and kicked hairs, but allso she hissed! it sounded very simmiler to hissing roaches, but not as loadly.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The hissing you are thinking of that T Blondi are know for is not really something I have never seen with Smithi. I have a few.....handle sometimes, and never have had a hiss....... and thats because they are lacking the hair that is rubbed together to make that noise..... the might when startled make some noise but not the hissing you are refering to thats just motion.

Last edited:

dGr8-1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The hiss you heard... did it come simultaneous with a threat pose? Isn't it that stridulation is accompanied by a threat pose?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Kinda, but not really with smithi, new world T's very rarely show a threat pose, they are more inclined to flick hair, and then scurry away. They do make a noise when startled but nothing like the hissing he is refering to. And on the rare time they do show a threat pose the dont really hiss. Its just the quick movement.

Spider-Man v2.0

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i was gonna take her out for a walk, and insted of just grabing her i pet and rub her legs and abdomin fist to calm her.

she made the nose 3 times. and like i said it was simmilier to a hisser roach, cept much quiter.
it happend when flicking hairs, or just befor or after it.

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
Stridulating Organ (Plumose setae) are present in the genus Brachypelma. So yes you did hear your B. smithi hiss. I have a hissing B. boehmei too. Neat huh? ^_-

sammyp

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Rubbing her abdomen, and legs is going to have the opposite effect to 'calming' her. Spider's don't like human contact.

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i was gonna take her out for a walk, and insted of just grabing her i pet and rub her legs and abdomin fist to calm her.
Imagine a huge man you've never seen before. This behemoth walks up to you and begins petting you to "calm you". How would you react? ;)

Tarantulas aren't dogs. They don't calm down when you pet them. They see you as nothing more than a predator, never get used to or remember you, and will respond to touch accordingly.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Stridulating Organ (Plumose setae) are present in the genus Brachypelma. So yes you did hear your B. smithi hiss. I have a hissing B. boehmei too. Neat huh? ^_-
Ok I have 20 of them and none have ever hissed....... Not a one. Do you have a T Blondi? That is hissing.

she made the nose 3 times. and like i said it was simmilier to a hisser roach, cept much quiter.
it happend when flicking hairs, or just befor or after it.
You pet her? If you want a pet get a cat or a big fluffy dog, if you want to itch the continue petting her butt, and on top of that it stresses them out big time.

Last edited by a moderator:

dGr8-1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Rubbing her abdomen, and legs is going to have the opposite effect to 'calming' her. Spider's don't like human contact.
@sammyp
True. I've read this sooo many times already in this forum. :D Though no one can blame you to be affectionate on your Ts. We just love 'em so much! hehehe

@johnxII
Thanks for the info.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You want to see some cool pics I just took of some of my smithi eating? I just posted them in the announcment section! Enjoy.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
wow never new brachys posses the stridulation.also why the hell were u pettin your redknee lmao.

Arachnokid 93

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My smithi makes a hissing sound when he kicks hairs but it is very quite . Sthat might be it.

Spider-Man v2.0

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
becus i can, i have had ts for a long time but am now down 2 to. the red knee and a pink toe who i just got.
i have had realy bad luck, allmost all males :( thay even already had the spikes used for mateing :(

yea im this wierdo and i take my ts out for walks. i let them run over my bed and stuff. i do the same for my millies and hissers.
i had one realy calm rosie that whould sit on my shoulder, and i whould walk down the street with her siting nicely up thear. yea im now going to get lots of hate mail, but o well. so did the grizzly man..

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
ok well walkin down the street with a g rosea on your shoulder sounds more like u just want to get some attention by freaking people out.your only putting the t in danger there of falling and splitting her abdomen open.
also the grizzly guy was a piece of work.thank god he got mauled by those bears because he deserved it 100%.that guy was horrible!!!

Mr.Scorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
becus i can, i have had ts for a long time but am now down 2 to. the red knee and a pink toe who i just got.
i have had realy bad luck, allmost all males :( thay even already had the spikes used for mateing :(

yea im this wierdo and i take my ts out for walks. i let them run over my bed and stuff. i do the same for my millies and hissers.
i had one realy calm rosie that whould sit on my shoulder, and i whould walk down the street with her siting nicely up thear. yea im now going to get lots of hate mail, but o well. so did the grizzly man..
I dont shoot myself "because I can" why would you put a tarantula in danger "because you can". Im surprised you havent killed any of your own T's by this point. Thats utterly ridiculous. They arent like other pets that become comfortable with you after a while, they are literally bugs.