Canned Tarantula

archaeosite

Arachnosquire
Thank the gods I'm vegetarian. I remain thoroughly unperplexed by "is it pet or food?" conversations. :)

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Thank the gods I'm vegetarian. I remain thoroughly unperplexed by "is it pet or food?" conversations. :)
Vegetarian here too. But even if I ate animals, I'd have to pass on anything I kept as a pet.

Old joke:
How can you tell if someone is vegan or not?
Oh, don't worry -- they'll tell you.

baijuncheng

Arachnopeon
I'd give it a go, I have already eaten some pretty weird stuff. I just enjoy the reactions of friends and family when I tell them what I ate.

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the canned ones the OP mentioned are farmed for eating.
I highly doubt they would raise up hundreds of slings from 1/2 in individual vials just to kill them later on. I doubt they could keep haplos in one container, box ect without them killing eachother. I'm almost certain they're wild caught.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I highly doubt they would raise up hundreds of slings from 1/2 in individual vials just to kill them later on. I doubt they could keep haplos in one container, box ect without them killing eachother. I'm almost certain they're wild caught.
My thoughts exactly..

---------- Post added 03-28-2015 at 06:38 AM ----------

Also have had guinea its its own flavor just like frog legs.. Nothing taste like chicken, chicken is bland the preperation for the chicken makes it taste lol... This can however.. Its BBQ flavored...YUM YUM! lol
Anyone elese notice the item number? obt2013..lol and the T itself looks kinda mummified xD now iv ate some strange stuff, goat, guineapig, lizards, had the chance to try a T but passed it up (regrets loljk) but idk if id want it canned.. Thats just grose.. I dont even like caned corn XD

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I can't decide if wild-caught or bred.
Most industry does rely on large scale production -- so breeding in large numbers -- while treating animals like a product and not a living creature.

I have seen a couple documentaries (believe at least one of them featured Rick West) on T consumption.
One documentary had a Thailand story in it of a street food vendor who bought wild caught ones which were cruelly de-fanged, the woman seller would batter and fry them up to sell. It was considered common local fare.
The other had like a ritualized meal partaking of T -- and the fangs were used as toothpicks afterwards (almost believe this one was set in South America).

I do realize many peoples continue (as historically) to consume various insects and spiders. Not sure why western culture doesn't do the same, but as a westerner -- ugh - gross!

cold blood

Staff member
I'm actually shocked...not that they are being eaten or even canned....but the fact that they devote the time and energy to raise them for this purpose....whoever is raising them for this needs an education in economics.....they take the t, do a bunch of stuff to it to cook and crisp it and then spend the money to can it....only after all that work and effort, they sell the finished product for LESS than a living specimen would sell for...significantly less....these people "farming" could probably make significantly more money selling them to the pet industry than the food industry.

theconmacieist

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It really doesn't seem feasible. The species would have to be tolerant of each other and mature very rapidly. I would like to see the rearing "facility".

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
I really want to hate on them but after looking up factory farming, I guess I'd be a hypocrite (at least not now). None the less, it still looks interesting. I wonder if they have an immunity to their bites or something?

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
I really want to hate on them but after looking up factory farming, I guess I'd be a hypocrite (at least not now). None the less, it still looks interesting. I wonder if they have an immunity to their bites or something?
I would think not...more likely it's just the fact that Tarantulas have been part of their food culture for so long that they have had plenty of time to develop techniques to avoid being bitten. Think of it along the same lines as shearing sheep. You take the average schmuck who has spent their life in the suburbs and get them to shear a sheep, assuming they can get the poor beast to co-operate in the first place, they're going to bugger up the shearing job horribly and probably injure the sheep in the process. If someone who has worked with sheep for many years does it, they can have the animal subdued, sheared and back in the flock in less than 5 minutes.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I would think not...more likely it's just the fact that Tarantulas have been part of their food culture for so long that they have had plenty of time to develop techniques to avoid being bitten. Think of it along the same lines as shearing sheep. You take the average schmuck who has spent their life in the suburbs and get them to shear a sheep, assuming they can get the poor beast to co-operate in the first place, they're going to bugger up the shearing job horribly and probably injure the sheep in the process. If someone who has worked with sheep for many years does it, they can have the animal subdued, sheared and back in the flock in less than 5 minutes.
Nice analogy!

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
No, they don't have an immunity any more than a dog breeder has an immunity to a dog bite.
You can technically loose feeling in your arm and nolonger feel a bite from a dog lol but the venom of Ts is too inconsistant imo unless your trying to milk them to become immune/halpo-man lol (cant say spidey and tarantula man seems like a spin off from tarantulaguy xD)

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I'm actually shocked...not that they are being eaten or even canned....but the fact that they devote the time and energy to raise them for this purpose....whoever is raising them for this needs an education in economics.....they take the t, do a bunch of stuff to it to cook and crisp it and then spend the money to can it....only after all that work and effort, they sell the finished product for LESS than a living specimen would sell for...significantly less....these people "farming" could probably make significantly more money selling them to the pet industry than the food industry.
I thought about that too. But, imagine import/export laws, and all the extra effort for an undervalued animal that the locals eat. Imagine the extra costs to package live animals for shipping and the special packaging itself needed. I can mail a can of something with minimal bubble wrap to get it there safe, and if it's delayed in shipping, no biggie. But live animal sales would be a whole new bag. I think it's possible they are making the most money possible since the additional shipping issues are nonexistent with canned goods.
I am spending way too much time thinking about this.
I do want a can though, just to sit next to the can of spotted dick in my pantry.
I am easily amused.

cold blood

Staff member
Well dogs don't have venom.
Irrelevant to my point...no matter how much experience you have with dogs, get bit you still get damaged....same for t's....poec had 100's and 100's, will be less likely to be effected because he's had lots of them around him for a long time?

I don't think anyone on the planet would be resistant to mechanical damage, and although over the course of many repeated bites their body may deal with the venom better, I doubt highly that there is anyone that it just has no effect on. If such a human exists, I'd love to know more about him/her. The amount of pain they suffered would have to be pretty epic, I'd think.