Canadian sphagnum moss

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Can anyone recommend a good organic brand of Canadian sphagnum moss?

I'm not sure if I trust the miracle grow stuff...

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ok awesome, it doesn't

---------- Post added 05-31-2015 at 12:42 AM ----------

I asked this in another thread, but I purchased both organic Canadian sphagnum moss and some ground cover bark, both with no pesticides or fertilizer, can I mix the coco fiber with those things and use that mixture for the pedes?

wastedwoodsman

Arachnosquire
I don't see why not but i personally use cocofiber, sand with calcium (reptisand from walmart), oak leaves, aspen snake bedding, and hickory wood chips from the grilling section (for smokers found cheap at grocery stores) and distilled water. I mix it up and add distilled water until the substrate is damp. The rule of thumb I use is if i can pick up a handful of substrate and squeeze it and no water drips then its perfect, If you can squeeze water from it its to wet.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I don't see why not but i personally use cocofiber, sand with calcium (reptisand from walmart), oak leaves, aspen snake bedding, and hickory wood chips from the grilling section (for smokers found cheap at grocery stores) and distilled water. I mix it up and add distilled water until the substrate is damp. The rule of thumb I use is if i can pick up a handful of substrate and squeeze it and no water drips then its perfect, If you can squeeze water from it its to wet.
This is really great advice! Thank you so much. I'll look into the aspen snake bedding too. :). Much gratitude!

wastedwoodsman

Arachnosquire
Hey no problem! If you have any other questions just let me know! I also add springtails to all my enclosures as they are a wonderful and harmless clean up crew for various molds, fungus, and waste products!

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey no problem! If you have any other questions just let me know! I also add springtails to all my enclosures as they are a wonderful and harmless clean up crew for various molds, fungus, and waste products!
Where do u get your spring tail? Do they work well with tarantulas as well?

wastedwoodsman

Arachnosquire
I bought my starter culture from josh's frogs and he was wonedrful shipped quick and came for a decent price! They should work well with any inverts as far as i know. They don't harm babies or adults of any kind of animal and are barely noticeable unless you are really looking. If there's humidity in your T's enclosures i would recommend them 100%