Can you determine a tarantula's gender even when it's still a sling?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Yes, but the smaller they are, the harder it is. You have to carefully spread out the tiny molt without tearing it, and then use a camera, microscope, magnifying glass, etc to examine it.

I pretty much never try it any more if they're less than an inch. It's just an exercise in frustration. I've had better luck with sexing molts that are 1.5 inches and above.

Of course, there are exceptions to every rule. Legs, my 4 inch G. pulchripes, is still unsexed because that T has mangled every molt before I could examine it.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
When they are that small, it can be very difficult to see what's there...a strong microscope would be needed....possible, but not practical...best to wait till 2-3".

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
It's possible but it's easier to wait until they hit around 1.5-2 inches, due to being an Ogryn, I've personally yet to manage untangling an exuvia for anything smaller than 1.5" without tearing it to shreds.

Abbio

Arachnopeon
I'm interested in how you would do this also! i have a GBB sling around 2" and should be due to molt soon, would someone be able to post a diagram of what it is i would be looking for and what i need to do.
Many thanks!
Abby.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I'm interested in how you would do this also! i have a GBB sling around 2" and should be due to molt soon, would someone be able to post a diagram of what it is i would be looking for and what i need to do.
Many thanks!
Abby.
Just look up molt sexing, there's plenty of good info out there on it. Your basically opening up the molted exo in the abdomen area, stretching it out and looking for spermathecae.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Many thanks!
Abby.
You do the same thing, use the same equipment as one does for an adult, ie larger one. @Trenor and I use digital microscopes, quite helpful.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
do you have any advice on what to do with then molt after? how do you prepare yours to be examined?
Using sharp scissors, separate the abdomen from the rest of the exuviae. Then fill a small dish with water, and add a drop of dish soap. (This decreases the surface tension of the water, making it easier to rehydrate the exuviae. Otherwise, it just tends to float on the surface.) Add the abdomen, and push it below the surface. Let it soak for 2-5 minutes.

When it's done soaking, you should be able to easily untwist the abdomen. I find that if you cut off the section below both pairs of book lungs (this is not needed), the section you do need will stay open. Otherwise, it has a tendency to fold in on itself.

You may find this video by @z32upgrader helpful: that is where I got the helpful tips on adding a drop of dish liquid and cutting away the parts you don't need.

If you'd like us to try to sex your tarantula (or if you want confirmation of your own attempts), you can post pictures here: Spermathecae sexing.

Abbio

Arachnopeon
Using sharp scissors, separate the abdomen from the rest of the exuviae. Then fill a small dish with water, and add a drop of dish soap. (This decreases the surface tension of the water, making it easier to rehydrate the exuviae. Otherwise, it just tends to float on the surface.) Add the abdomen, and push it below the surface. Let it soak for 2-5 minutes.

When it's done soaking, you should be able to easily untwist the abdomen. I find that if you cut off the section below both pairs of book lungs (this is not needed), the section you do need will stay open. Otherwise, it has a tendency to fold in on itself.

You may find this video by @z32upgrader helpful: that is where I got the helpful tips on adding a drop of dish liquid and cutting away the parts you don't need.

If you'd like us to try to sex your tarantula (or if you want confirmation of your own attempts), you can post pictures here: Spermathecae sexing.

Thankyou guys! so much, i'm so glad i joined Arachnoboards! you're all brilliant.

I know its easy enough to just 'search the web' no pun intended!

But makes a much nicer experience interacting with you lot and learning from you:D

Charlottesweb17

Arachnopeon
Wait till at least 1.5-2". My one of my l.parahybana last molted and was just starting to see the colour under the skin. Still can't tell if it's f or m and it's an 1.5" so unless you have a microscope I would wait.
I have noticed most people that have pics the skin is from a 2-3".

Abbio

Arachnopeon
I'm still waiting for the molt... but i managed to get this picture last night.
Is it any good? What do you guys think?

Abbio

Arachnopeon
22092583_10155779521436214_1146364868_o.jpg

I managed to get these pics of the molt what do you guys think? i think i can see a flap... but i'm really not sure! maybe its still too small....

Abbio

Arachnopeon
You should've posted in the Spermathecae Sexing gallery rather than hijacking another thread but definitely female.
Oh right sorry i just saw this of more of a discussion around if sexing was a possibility and this is where someone helped me with how to prepare the molt and i said i would post an update. I've found the sexing gallery now but i don't think i can delete my picture here so apologies. I'm new to the forums so I'm still learning how i should be using it !

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Oh right sorry i just saw this of more of a discussion around if sexing was a possibility and this is where someone helped me with how to prepare the molt and i said i would post an update. I've found the sexing gallery now but i don't think i can delete my picture here so apologies. I'm new to the forums so I'm still learning how i should be using it !
No worries, finding your way around on here can be a bit of a ball-ache at times, you'll get the hang of it eventually lol.