can Vietnamese cent. be fed live mice?

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Live food is approcpriate in some instances but in the UKM its illegal even to feed feeder fish to other fish... while feeding live food has benefits it also has risks and the owner needs to evaluate them. I have no clue what I would have done with my gar if I was in the Uk as they rarely if ever take prepared/dead frozen foods. This is one of those agree to disagree. As in verts I think they should be able to be fed to predators as well. To me there is NO differnce between a feeder cricket and feeder mouse.

Spider-Man v2.0

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I dont see why its shocking? i'd be shocked if the law was changed here to allow the feeding of live vertebrates, feeding live mammals to predatory animals in a confined space is immoral in my opinion.
todays feeding day for my snakes, and gess what im feeding them alive? and enjoying seeing it :p lol

i whouldnt feed a live mouse to my centies cus im sure thay can do some damage to it.
i have feed live hamster pinkies to my centiped and scorpions tho.

Urizen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Remember those words the next hamburger you eat ;)
I agree, this for me is the pinnacle of all vegetarian VS meat-eater arguments. It's not the fact that you are killing an animal for substanance, it's how you kill the animal. I think this thread, judging by later comments,was started with the intent for amusement, not nutritional value for a pet. The infamous youTUBE video showing a centipede eating a mouse, imo is simply for shock-value.

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ok dudes,...this thread will go no where and we know it...its a debate that will rage forever...this is a "to each his own" argument...we all feel very strongly about these issues...lets leave it alone for real!

orkimedies

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i have not yet fed anything larger then a super worm to any of my inverts.
and my forest scorpions refuse any dead food outright no matter how you offer it to them, even live food they rarely take (with the exception of leviathan my portly spinifer who eats like a dog)

the way i have found they prefir to eat is if you drop a super worm in thier tank they wait till it digs down into the substrate then they dig after it and pull it to the surface for a snack, my friends love watching this as do i.

how ever my emperors do take pre-killed meals but they are much less agressive.

but when i do feed a live mouse to one of my T's(or pede if i should ever get one)

i would not risk injury to the animal, i would hog tie and gag the mouse (or break it's teeth)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoXfYvoUsxg mauchau eating a mouse

tacoma0680

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you want to fed you centipede somthing that is live go ahead and fed it like a pinkie that can not really hurt them or if you have a big one go with a hopper.

dazbuzz

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well i have found out that in the u.k you cannot feed live animals other than crickets to any pet:evil:

konrad16660

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just yesterdaqy we fed a fuzzy to a vietnameses cent. yea. a LIVE mouse right here in the US of A and it killed that mouse without a problem and then ate the lower jaw and hallowd out the brain cavity leaving a shiny skull and then ate all the guts and lefts a couple legs and a tail to rot. they can easily kill a mouse. Just make sure he is hugry. :):):)

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just yesterdaqy we fed a fuzzy to a vietnameses cent. yea. a LIVE mouse right here in the US of A and it killed that mouse without a problem and then ate the lower jaw and hallowd out the brain cavity leaving a shiny skull and then ate all the guts and lefts a couple legs and a tail to rot. they can easily kill a mouse. Just make sure he is hugry. :):):)
You are a bastion of maturity aren't you? The debate is more or less should they be fed live mice, not can they. But, oh Wotan, why do I try anymore...:wall:

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
... Not very sure what to say, but I think Hedorah pretty much hit the nail in the head.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You are a bastion of maturity aren't you? The debate is more or less should they be fed live mice, not can they. But, oh Wotan, why do I try anymore...:wall:
I'd also say he's a shining example of the effectiveness of our public school system ;)

Mikey_Deadcat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello

So theres a law enacted In Europe that refrains one from feeding mice to there animals. Well what if one has an animal that only eats mice and other small vertebrates. Also i doubt that mousetraps are banned in Europe i consider that a much more grotesque way to die then to be injected with enough venom to completely subdue them. Im sure that when that neurotoxin is pumped into the small mammal that they dont feel much of anything after that or are even breathing for that matter. And whos to say what animal we can be cruel to and not be cruel to. Is a mouse any more important in the world than a cockroach or cricket. Ive seen natural videos of a pede killing and eating a T thats a food they come across in natural feeding but if anyone on here confessed to doing that im sure you all would crucify him.

Mikey_Deadcat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So

If you guys are all for complete natural feeding why not feed one of your more well loved t's to a Giant pede

konrad16660

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'd also say he's a shining example of the effectiveness of our public school system ;)
haha i know what your thinking....I'm 23 anyways I research any bugs I get and I do care about their safety. The fact is, you can feed them fuzzies and its ok for them as long as you don't make it a weekly event. its more of a monthy event. its like a person, you can get a juicy burger once in a while, but you'll have a heart attack if you make it a habbit.
I love my critters and I don't want anyone to think different;)

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
haha i know what your thinking....I'm 23 anyways I research any bugs I get and I do care about their safety. The fact is, you can feed them fuzzies and its ok for them as long as you don't make it a weekly event. its more of a monthy event. its like a person, you can get a juicy burger once in a while, but you'll have a heart attack if you make it a habbit.
I love my critters and I don't want anyone to think different;)
Like I said, its not a question of nutrition but a question of safety and ethics. You are still not getting this point.

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i think the original point of the thread has been totally lost at this point. He asked if it could kill and eat a mouse...not the ethics behind it...yes it can kill and eat a mouse...is it a good idea? some say yes others say no...can it harm the pede? possibly if the mouse is too big or if you overfeed the pede. Is it morally ok? Well that is an opinion that differs between keepers.that is the answer to the original question posted four pages ago! the answer is there is no definite answer...you weigh the good with the bad and your own personal beliefs and decide from there.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i think the original point of the thread has been totally lost at this point. He asked if it could kill and eat a mouse...not the ethics behind it...yes it can kill and eat a mouse...is it a good idea? some say yes others say no...can it harm the pede? possibly if the mouse is too big or if you overfeed the pede. Is it morally ok? Well that is an opinion that differs between keepers.that is the answer to the original question posted four pages ago! the answer is there is no definite answer...you weigh the good with the bad and your own personal beliefs and decide from there.
I know. Its a good point. I just get worked up over the immature attitude some people have towards the hobby. I should just keep telling myself, its just a hobby, but animals are not only my hobby but my profession, so the ability to just keep quiet gets over ruled a lot.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I know. Its a good point. I just get worked up over the immature attitude some people have towards the hobby.
And for good reason. A lot of people simply hate the hobby. You start showing them pictures, videos and text posts who think that live mammals are the proper way to feed centipedes, then people get the wrong idea.