can Vietnamese cent. be fed live mice?

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
move to england pls thx
It has nothing to do about being English, it has everything to do with being practical and humane. And a mouse can get it's chops buried in the pede too and capable of dismembering antennae and legs etc.

Now what have you've got... an injured and disfigured pede on your hands.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I get all your points and they are absolutely valid.

A giant centipede doesn't need anything larger than a crickets. After all, it doesn't have a large "mouth" per se at all.

I confess I have fed live pinkies to larger inverts (for variety and heartiness). But I think differently now.

And for practical reasons I used to feed an adult T. blondi live pinkies/fuzzies well frankly look at the thing!!!

But there is no reason to feed a live mouse to a centipede because it can be fattened up on crickets quickly and get it's full nutrional requirements from these insects. I don't think a fully grown jumbo-sized S. gigantea would finish a meal like that. So, yes, I oppose it too.
I used to feed my snakes live rats as well and used to marvel at my horned frogs gulping down mice. I too have since ceased this practice. I see it more as an unnecessary risk rather than a cruelty really. I have seen what a rat can do to a snake. And when, like you said, can feed a pede on soley inverts, I would gladly do this. Besides, dubia roaches are much cheaper than mice.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
move to england pls thx
Thanx for adding to the debate ;)

No, I'll just reiterate that you can feed a mouse to a Mai Chau pede, but it crosses some lines of safety towards your pet and being humane to an animal that is going to die a very slow agonizing death for your own personal amusement and at risk to your pet. Yes, you CAN feed a mouse to a Mai Chau. But if you feel you NEED to, you should probably reconsider why you own pets in the first place. :D

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
tbh, it just shows a lack of understanding, intelligence and morality, lol..keep it up orkimedies.. ¬.¬
just mho.
IMO animals that require the life of another vertebrate should really be reconsidered as a house pet..unless for very certain reasons such as species extinction in the wild,. Im sure many would disagree though.
I have niggles with feeding my royal python F/T mice, i see them both as seperate but equal entities, and dont see a reason for sacrificing god knows how many mice for one single life. Dont get me wrong, my snake is wicked,m love it to bits, but really...what makes it 'better' than a mouse?
i think hedorah has got it spot on with his points and statements.
We are perceived as hunters, would you prefer to go out and hunt down a cow, process it and then make and cook your burger? or just buy one? lol
I also have issues with this, one day i hope to only eat meat i raised and killed, i give a lot of respect to the animals in my care, even the DEAD mice, i feel its your duty, at the end of the day its wot has made your snakes!
I dont see any need from feeding a 'pede live verts,
TBH i dont think i can say anything hedorah hasnt already said.
the comment about England doesnt quite show yourself as being particularly intelligent, mature or any use to this debate... no offence, lol

Natco

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
if a mouse could eat you and everyone you care about, it would.
So would a pede, or most of the other things we talk about on here. But they cant. Leopards can, maybe you should go out and get one and feed it to your animals.

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i think it is safe to say that most likely people on here will always disagree on this topic. It seems to be a matter of opinion as to whether or not its ok...except for in the UK where its illegal. This seems like one of those topics we need to agree to dis-agree

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well, i won't lie, i fed my mau chau a live mouse. it was crazy. i did it only once, just to see what would happen. i knew the risks involved. but i did it outta curiosity. the mau chau i have is close to 9", it wrapped its whole body around the mouse and then proceeded to chow down on the stomach. im not worried about my pede (even though i should be), i just don't wanna have to clean up another mess like that from its cage (disgusting).
~some might think of me as cold-hearted, but i actually took the teeth out of the mouse b4 i fed it to my pede. sorry to all of those who think that this sorta stuff is malicious. ;)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You took the teeth out?! Dude! I'm at a loss of words. Hmm, well, if the pede didn't end up eating it, you would have to have gotten it some rodentures, HA! ...get it?!:rolleyes: :8o

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
YIKES!

Home rodent tooth extractions. Ever see Marathon Man or OldBoy.

I don't think that was necessary. I'll reiterate something I think I said like five times or more (heh) already but more graphically. One reason I refuse to feed live mice to a giant centipede is you might end with a carcass i.e. body with it's bowels opened wide open and partially eaten or find yourself the new owner of a disembodied rodent head to mount on your wall and brag about to your friends this is my centipede's first live mouse.

Also centipedes have been known burrow beneath or make itself right at home within carrion itself.

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
TBH, if it was known over here in UK it woulda resulted in RSPCA maybe even confiscating all your stuff.
IMO as well, it is totally unneccessary pain and suffering for the mouse, i cant actually comprehend doing it in honesty, i view it as an abuse of powers, same with knocing their heads agains a surface to feed snakes, i can understand why but at the end of the day there is no reason on earth that it HAS to be live mice rather than thawed. Dont get me wrong though for the 'right' reasons, i would happily kill a man over a dog. i feel no compasion for man, as a species, sad as it is..
i could never be so inhumane to even a mouse,*Unless it was an axe weilding homocidal maniac mouse!* i think i would have to stand on it, but thats diff*lol
Each to their own and all but that really is cruel, lol
What do you do if he doesnt eat it?
I dont spose you would mind killing it tho,no offence intended..just curious

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i could never be so inhumane to even a mouse,*Unless it was an axe weilding homocidal maniac mouse!* i think i would have to stand on it, but thats diff*lol
Each to their own and all but that really is cruel, lol
What do you do if he doesnt eat it?
I dont spose you would mind killing it tho,no offence intended..just curious
Remember those words the next hamburger you eat ;)

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well, if the pedes not hungry, then ill just throw the mouse in with my redtail... teeth are already out, no need to worry about it biting the snake. usually when i get mice, i put 'em in the freezer to let them freeze (most humane way to kill a mouse IMO). but i just wanted to experiment that one time...

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I just want to point out that most preditors on earth, whether they're in groups or solitary by nature, plays with their food. As they are taught to hunt from their parents, the food is injured enough for training purposes and after they get tired of playing, the prey is killed and eaten. So even though I would not feed my pets anything dangerous to them, Add this to what Megalon said, the playing and killing food for fun happens more than one would think. The solitary leoperd will kill food and stash it for another day up in a tree. All kinds of insects behaive this way. You'll find it happens more and more the farther north the preditor lives. The cooler temps push the animal to hord food for a later day. Just for examples.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
well, if the pedes not hungry, then ill just throw the mouse in with my redtail... teeth are already out, no need to worry about it biting the snake. usually when i get mice, i put 'em in the freezer to let them freeze (most humane way to kill a mouse IMO). but i just wanted to experiment that one time...
And you're not the sole person that has perpetuated something like this with captive animals or livestock.

In another thread I recounted, I had an older peer that used to throw S. polymorpha he caught around on his property in with his Rose Hair as a means of feeding the tarantula and TBH for sport too.

Both animals could have been injured or killed. Fortunately the Rose Hair appeared to be highly adapted at preying on medium sized centipedes as it always batted around and/or pinned the pede down with it's legs with uncanny accuracy and always lunged in sunk it's fangs in first. Might have been some scientific finding in that pitmatch but it's cruel and risking injury and/or placing unneccessary stress upon one's pet.

Today, I'd give him a good talk to and correct him of his actions. But we were both immature teens back then and he probably has already outgrown this form of cruelty and stupidity.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
freezing a mouse is FAR from humane. They can feel pain, and they are warm blooded so it takes a while for their bodies to die from the cold, compared to a cold blooded animal or an invert. The most humane way to kill a mouse or rat is a CO chamber (or is it CO2 i always mix them up). If your unable to do that, then the next most humane way (though its much worse) is snapping the neck quickly.

I used to feed live mice to my snakes, but have since switched to f/t. And a rat can kill a large snake, ive seen rats killing boas and ball pythons. Mice can kill smaller snakes like corns and kings. And if a mouse can kill a corn snake, it can most definately kill a centipede.

Then if you dont care if your centipede dies, I would question why you would be keeping one anyway. I dont feel feeding mice or even pinkies is necessary to inverts, but if you must see it, just for the awe of seeing it (which I can understand) I would use f/t pinkies.

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i say only feed live(especially if you are feeding a mouse large enough to do some damage) if absalutely necessary...there are some occasions that you cannot get a snake to eat f/t. I do have an animal that, despite my all my best attempts and tons of advice from other people, will not touch anything that is not white and alive...if there is a speck of color on that thing he won't go near it...but i think that kind of time is the only time it is ok to feed that...otherwise you can use frozen

Scott C.

Arachnofloater
Old Timer
Being human, is inhumane......
The only argument that ever holds any water on this side of the pond in this debate is the clean up, and risk to your pet, arguments...... I feed live pinkies, and fuzzies, to my large T's on very rare occasions. No risk. No remains except for a small white ball of what seems to be partially digested bone matter, and no entertaining show because I don't have time for that crap, and watching little animals get devoured doesn't get me off.
If I was in the UK, I would obey the law. Good reasoning.
If my T couldn't eat the entire meal, I'd not feed it that particular meal. Good reasoning.
If I only had open-eyed, sharp-toothed, clever mammals available I'd not expose my T's to them. Good reasoning.
If I was an ultra humane freak, I would quit being a hypocrite, go buy some vegetables, get rid of the caged animals that fill my room, and consider stopping an endless supply of human activities that end result in something somewhere getting the short end of the stick.......
I have yet to meet a person who claims moral superiority as their reason to feed pre-killed, that can't be proven a raging hypocrite....

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
im not arguing the humane aspect of feeding live. I dont get in on that side of the argument b/c its pointless to fight about it. But killing mice by freezing them is FAR from a humane way of killing them before feeding, and feeding an animal that could potentially kill or hurt your pet is just irresponsible.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Here are some interesting pages though they deal with human consumption of insect (bleugh!), it is quite enlightening on the nutritional values of insects.

click here!

from the
Insects as Food, by Gene DeFoliart
Home Page.

And there are additional links to read on the Gene DeFoliart site.

Like Scott said, why risk injury or death to your tarantulas and inverts, heck, I treat mine like they're the family dogs. My affection has that strong of a bond though they can not reciprocate likewise, yet because they are under my care and thus my responsibility they've already reciprocated.

My largest tarantulas may have a rare pinkie or fuzzie or even anole due to their size alone.