Can two female mygalomorphs live together?

chewbacca

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone. I own a black tunnel web spider (6cm legspan) in a 45cm x 20cm terrarium. I was in the backyard (native bush) and found a very nice banded tunnel-web. I've put her in the same enclosure (at the opposite end with an extra hide). Will they cohabit together without problems? Or will one have the other for dinner? Thanks :)

chewbacca

Arachnopeon
Thanks Maxhoule. Kinda got me worried now:eek:. Any other opinions or wisdom... anyone?

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
same species co-habitation is tricky at best, differing species is more of a...dinner list.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
depending on species and conditions, some can

in nature i found burrows with spiders in them that have been there for years within inches of each other

to have a best chance for success i would only do it with trapdoor type spiders that pretty much do not leave their burrows. i have found other species in close proximity but i figure since the traps pretty much have at least a foot in burrow at any given time they should never interact with each other

i would introduce a spider into another's well established cage, and keep a cup over the new spider until they make a burrow. you should pretty much be good to go, then

spiders that go a ways from their burrow might mix it up. but, like i said, i find stuff right next to each other fairly often. iirc, i found a square foot with four different myg species on it before

edit: tunnelwebs tend to be a little more venturesome than "obligate" trapdoors. it would be kinda chancy. especially with the new one maybe wandering for a new home

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've heard that liphistius species can be kept communally.

chewbacca

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the comments everyone! I feel totally welcomed as a newby :).

It might seem irresponsible to some but, I think I'll leave both in the enclosure for now and see what happens.

Cacoseraph - I think you are right on the money. There is an ancient Puriri tree in my backyard with tunnelwebs all over it, some within a few inches of each other... I guess that proves that same family cohabitation is possible in the wild (with Hexathelidae anyway).

My black tunnelweb pretty much never leaves it's web - unless it it to grab its weekly cricket. The new one (Banded) seems right at home - has made a web and this morning took a cricket. Hopefully, I will have 2 happy healthy pets this time next week :rolleyes:.

I will let you know the outcome.

You guys rock! :D

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have five Myrmekiaphila trapdoor spiders and I have been tempted to see if they can live communally. I really don't want to lose any though, after all the time I spent finding them :rolleyes:

Caco, have you had any experiences with certain trapdoors wandering around? I have all five of mine in peat moss and I still see them out of their burrow roaming around as if they are trying to escape, yet I never see any roaming around outside when I'm searching for them. Ever.

I wonder if it's the substrate I use? Or maybe I should have it moist.

chewbacca

Arachnopeon
Good morning everyone.

Bad news... I awoke to find the banded tunnelweb (the new addition) almost dead with a puncture wound to her abdomen, and a very aggressive black tunnelweb prowling around the terrarium ready to bite anything that came close to her.

I know this is a "I-told-you-so" moment - and ultimately a big lesson learned.

And so, to answer my own question... No. Two Hexathelidae can not live happily together! :wall:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
a big problem with more than one thing in a tank seems to be that initial settling period

the best cases for not wandering are when i lift a spider's "pot". idk, but that's what we call the sort of bulb of dirt that forms around old Ctenizidae burrows. i have some pics somewhere i can find of it. i lifted the bulb ofa pot and the top three inches (complete with working trapdoor) and frankensteined them together and the spider lived quite happiiy in it for 3 years or so until i had to sell my collection. a lot will wander if they can't make a good home pretty quickly. you can sort of put a little container over them to "encourage" them to dig down at that spot. especially if you start a hole for them. but getting their pot is the best bet for not wandering, by far

tbh, obligate trapdoor types are the harder kind to keep. funnelweb/open burrow types are pretty much just like ~basic taranatulas. especially for getting babies to a reasonable size. i think baby trapdoors have to stay with their mom until they naturally disperse, then you have to have tiny tiny live feeders to feed them or most will die. they are horrible to raise from eggs. at least the native USA ones are

Last edited: