Can Tarantulas Actually Get Parasites from Crickets?

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Via other, ahem, openings. For example, tarantula nematodes enter the tarantula via the anus, whereas parasitic fungi (e.g. Cordyceps) most likely get in via the book lungs.
Nematode eggs are microscopic and darn near bullet proof, they are designed to be ingested and then there's certain nematodes that will burrow into the mouth/anus of the tarantula and there are also fly and small wasp species that will lay eggs of parasitic larvae on the surface or inject them into the soft abdomen.
Where did you get the information that spider pathogenic nematodes enter a tarantula's body through the anus?

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
Where did you get the information that spider pathogenic nematodes enter a tarantula's body through the anus?
Right here, and I also have several seperate references in literature and paperwork from the department of veterinary science if you wanted that too.
Screenshot_20200713-201118~2.png

Royalty

Arachnoknight
Phorid flies are never fun.

Brine shrimp- sure sounds like an issue to me, but I'm not an expert on luring foreign invaders to my Ts, I'm an expert on the opposite ;)
I don't think I will use the brine shrimp for the crickets again. My isopods/ crickets in the terrarium go through it fast enough but it smells- one of the reasons I kept the crickets away. They are processed quite a bit but i think the next time I get feeders I will stick to a slice of fruit/veggies and giving them a container Flies can not get into.

I never had an issue with flies getting into my T enclosures thankfully.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
I have confirmed the "parasites" are indeed a type of fly larvae.

I feel called out today! (not really)

While I do like to watch tarantula videos, I like to check any "info" here. I am happy that he made this video.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I have confirmed the "parasites" are indeed a type of fly larvae.
I feel called out today! (not really)
While I do like to watch tarantula videos, I like to check any "info" here. I am happy that he made this video.
Ironic coming from the same channel who did the 'Ten Most Dangerous Tarantulas' video, where he caved into the same cheap, clickbait, fear-mongering misinformation that those other channels do.

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
Ironic coming from the same channel who did the 'Ten Most Dangerous Tarantulas' video, where he caved into the same cheap, clickbait, fear-mongering misinformation that those other channels do.
I thought so too. Still, I am ready to keeping watching how his channel develops. I think he listened to Tom's podcast where Tom called him out on that particular video, and since then, no such video has come up.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
He also even calls himself out there and says not to confuse entertainment with information. I think his has definitely been improving and growing unlike some that while entertaining do things like consider handling old worlds.